Votes: 57 37.5%
  • 600 Ohm

Votes: 24 15.8%

• Total voters

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've had 4 Ohms, 2Kohms, and higher.

In long-gone days my go-to was a 300r pair, but today 16-100 is much more common.

Why do you want to know? Are you going to individual-design an amp for each of us?

Unless you get the Pope to marry you and a headphone, you *may* like another set of different impedance at some later time. I don't see a future in a specific-impedance design.

Senn hd650: 300r
Senn hd25-13: 600r

The 600r impedance of the senn hd25 is actually a very, very nice point. As they are quite efficient, they still can be driven from a phone for example. But due to their high impedance, they require very little current, so they don't load the phone output much. It also means that their frequency response doesn't change much due to the output impedance of the phone. And, finally, since they still require a bit more voltage, they can used with the digital volume control way up, which is best. Great portable headphones.

Sony MDR 32 Ohm
CX 300 II 16 ohm
HD650 300 Ohm

Sony's are louder on a mobile phone or anything with a 3.3Vbattery, or IC.

Sennheisers take the voltage way better on a desk output.

I've still to try the CX out but they're sensitive and I may get away with it....Just.

I'd think 600 Ohm and beyond (inc joker JCX ESL phones) just takes the demandstoo far into the voltage domain.

Besides with low voltage computing (my term for anything 3.3vdc) well unless you have incredible sensitivity then you need current, there just isn't the voltage headroom.

Last edited:
More than one phone

I have more than one headphone, but cannot vote more than once.

Sennheiser HD-598, 50 Ohms.
Sennheiser HD-600, 300 Ohms.
Sennheiser PXC-250, 300 Ohms.
Superex PDP-79E Electrostatic, 4 Ohms resistance + stepup transformer, connected to power amplifier speaker output directly.

I've had 4 Ohms, 2Kohms, and higher.

In long-gone days my go-to was a 300r pair, but today 16-100 is much more common.

Why do you want to know? Are you going to individual-design an amp for each of us?

Unless you get the Pope to marry you and a headphone, you *may* like another set of different impedance at some later time. I don't see a future in a specific-impedance design.
Many solid state headphone amplifier have high damping factor to drive 16 to 600 Ohms properly. You will need a good current capacity for low impedance, low efficiency phones. Exact phone impedance value is less important.

If you design tube headamp, you will need multiple tabs for the output transformer to match different impedance.

High output impedance receiver/power amp headphone jack or output transformerless tube amplifier present poor damping factor and may not work very well.

Majority of guys have 32 Ohm like me.
Then comes 300 Ohm and 64 Ohm.

When I design headphones amplifier I design first type for 8-64 Ohm.
The second type of amplifier fits from 100 to 600 Ohm.

It is a big difference if you have 32 Ohm or 600 Ohm.
Because of that you should make a different amplifier to suit each type of headphone.