best op amp for C'moy amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all I am wondering which opamp sounds best .
Please don't recommend any chip that cannot come in SOIC8 or through hole package.

I don't know much about SMD. I cannot solder those chips with no pin.

I heard different op amp sounds different so I want to try some.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Unless you feel like re-inventing the wheel....

Use two 1688 and just get the nice board from AGDR that handles all the issues of unbalanced rails auto-protect, turn on thump protect relay, etc. 1688 makes a really nice amp. There are just a lot of ancillary supporting components needed to make it a user friendly amp - and might as well make something that sounds better than an O2.

OPA1688 Super CMOY, 2x 9V with real ground and headphone relay - PCBs

I have made a rough design hope you people will tell me how can I improve it.

IMG_20180703_115850.jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Skip the voltage regulator and tie midpoint of two batteries to GND. Why are you using inverting amp? Add RFI filter on input, lots of good x7r bypass caps next to legs of opamp. Use two 2200uF 5v caps back to back for 10v bipolar outpt cap bypass with 2.2u MKS. Add 270R load to output to absorb and dissipate turn on DC transient. Add 0.1uF film and 4.7R Zobel to absorb any RF oscillation.

Basically looks like this. Give it a try.

Note that larger value or larger voltage rating input or output caps can be used, I just tried to keep parts as small as possible.

If you don’t have carbon film use metal thin film for now. Feedback cap can be NP0 or MKP/FKP but not X7R.

Attachments

• C1896B77-4DCF-4B02-B457-B4B48DCBF87C.jpg
    C1896B77-4DCF-4B02-B457-B4B48DCBF87C.jpg
    983.6 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.