Dynalo troubleshooting problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I am building KG's dynalo but encounter some problems during troubleshooting, would like to seek your help and advice.

Referring to the schematic and the construction guide below:

http://www.djgardner.com/headphone/gilmore/dynalo/layout/Rev-C/dynalo_rev_c.pdf

http://www.djgardner.com/headphone/... Detailed Construction (STACKOFHAY Edits).doc

1. In step 17.2, it said voltage across R11, R15, R41, R45 should each read about 1.0V. I am using LED with forward voltage of around 1.8V instead of 1.6V, so expected that the voltage across R11, R15, R41, R45 is more than 1.0V. I measured 1.16V across those resistors, is there any problem for not using the LED with 1.6V forward voltage?
2. The voltage across R19 and R49 should be each read about 0.8V, why?? How to calculate the voltage across those two resistors?
3. Voltage across R23, R24, R53, R54 should each read about 0.37V. Again, I don’t know how the 0.37V is calculated, can you show me how?
4. About the chassis wiring, I installed two RCA input jack and 3.5mm output jack on the chassis. I don’t have any problem on the input wiring as I can always twist a pair of wires on each RCA. However, for the 3.5mm output, there are only three wires (L/R/GND), how can I twist them together? Should I twist those three wires together? Or should I twist L/GND and R/GND and terminate both GND wires to 3.5mm GND terminal?

Last edited:
If current flow through R15 is 2mA, then current flow through R1 & R2 is 1mA each. Voltage across then is 5V. Voltage across R17 would be 5V-0.6V=4.4V. Current flow through R17=4.4V/1kohm=4.4mA. Voltage across R19 would be 4.4mA * 215ohm = 0.946V. Seems there is a deviation between my calculation and the value from construction guide. Something wrong??

If you can get 1.9-2.1 mA through Q1 and Q2, then you should be pleased.
Your calculations are only calculations.
However 4.4 mA seems about right.

Now these are only numbers. The reality can be a little different.
Many transistors for example drops 1.65V or even close to 1.7V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.