Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Simple High Performing Headphone Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2018, 04:12 AM   #81
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

The design for the GB is now completed:
Simple High Performance DC Coupled Class A HPA with sub PPM THD-shpa-pba-bot-2-jpg

Simple High Performance DC Coupled Class A HPA with sub PPM THD-shpa-pcb-top-2-jpg

Simple High Performance DC Coupled Class A HPA with sub PPM THD
Old 9th July 2018, 05:07 AM   #82
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

GB PCBs have been ordered. There are a few boards left if anyone is interested.

Simple High Performance DC Coupled Class A HPA with sub PPM THD
Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM   #83
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Boards came today.

Simple High Performance DC Coupled Class A HPA with sub PPM THD-47814ad0-9080-41be-a891-4e76a242afbf-jpg
Old Yesterday, 04:25 AM   #84
penmarker is offline penmarker  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

How do you think this will fare against lets say a Lehmann Black Cube clone or KG Dynahi SuSy? I'm picking these mainly because these are the only headphone amps I have.

I love the Dynahi, but i think its a bit bright for me.
Old Yesterday, 04:53 AM   #85
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penmarker View Post
How do you think this will fare against lets say a Lehmann Black Cube clone or KG Dynahi SuSy? I'm picking these mainly because these are the only headphone amps I have.

I love the Dynahi, but i think its a bit bright for me.
I am not familiar with the amps you mention above, other than the Dynalo by Kevin Gilmore - the same designer of the Dynahi SuSy. Someone brought his Dynalo (quite a complex amp for being the simpler designs by Gilmore) over to my lab for a controlled blind AB test with 3 experienced listener subjects (people with lots of amps and headphones) with my SE Pocket Class A amp. My little 2 transistor amp literally crushed the Dynalo in all aspects of sound stage, bass authority, imaging, and realism. I am sure Kevin Gilmore "Dyna-X" designs are nice amps, but they tend to be complex push pull Class A affairs, that achieve higher powers in Class B - you can tell this by the size of the heatsinks - they are way too small for the claimed powers of tens of watts. So not sure about the Dynahi or Super Symmetry (NP patent) version of it, but I think that in general, a SE Class A amp, with fewer actives, and less feedback, will sound better and more natural than a complex push-pull Class A.

This amp is pure SE Class A, and has a dynamic CCS that is similar to the Nelson Pass Aleph. So this amp and the Dynahi SuSy have Nelson Pass in common...

I have built over 2, maybe 3 dozen headphone amps of many different topologies. I keep coming back to SE Class A for the best most realistic sound.

This amp design by TimS achieves SE Class A and does it with an all DC signal path so that capacitor coloration does not get in the way. It is very transparent, natural, and powerful sounding. I think quite good - up there with the best of my amps.

Hope that helps.
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM   #86
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
WAF. The most critical value in audio!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Boards came today.
Hello X,

Any stereo boards left for the SHA / pricing to Oz?

Cheers!
Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM   #87
penmarker is offline penmarker  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I am not familiar with the amps you mention above, other than the Dynalo by Kevin Gilmore - the same designer of the Dynahi SuSy. Someone brought his Dynalo (quite a complex amp for being the simpler designs by Gilmore) over to my lab for a controlled blind AB test with 3 experienced listener subjects (people with lots of amps and headphones) with my SE Pocket Class A amp. My little 2 transistor amp literally crushed the Dynalo in all aspects of sound stage, bass authority, imaging, and realism. I am sure Kevin Gilmore "Dyna-X" designs are nice amps, but they tend to be complex push pull Class A affairs, that achieve higher powers in Class B - you can tell this by the size of the heatsinks - they are way too small for the claimed powers of tens of watts. So not sure about the Dynahi or Super Symmetry (NP patent) version of it, but I think that in general, a SE Class A amp, with fewer actives, and less feedback, will sound better and more natural than a complex push-pull Class A.

This amp is pure SE Class A, and has a dynamic CCS that is similar to the Nelson Pass Aleph. So this amp and the Dynahi SuSy have Nelson Pass in common...

I have built over 2, maybe 3 dozen headphone amps of many different topologies. I keep coming back to SE Class A for the best most realistic sound.

This amp design by TimS achieves SE Class A and does it with an all DC signal path so that capacitor coloration does not get in the way. It is very transparent, natural, and powerful sounding. I think quite good - up there with the best of my amps.

Hope that helps.
Thanks a lot X for the comparison. I'm actually expecting a Dynalo Mini board from a group buy to arrive and build that. I mainly built the Dynahi as a be-all-end-all endgame amp since it is capable to drive anything all the way up to a HE6. However my gain is halved to cater my high sensitivity cans. Its kinda too clunky and big, requiring a separate but full sized chassis to house the PSU. Perhaps the Dynalo Mini or this simple class A could be what I'm looking for.

Now, what's the name for this amp?
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM   #88
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtech23 View Post
Hello X,

Any stereo boards left for the SHA / pricing to Oz?

Cheers!
I think we may need to start GB number 2 as I am all out.
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM   #89
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Now, what's the name for this amp?
The amp was designed by TimS, and as the OP to the thread, he sort of dropped out and stopped responding to the thread. The amp has no real name other than functionally, "Simple DC-coupled SE Class A with low distortion". Maybe SDCA amp for Simple Dc Class A.

Simple High Performing Headphone AmpHide this!Advertise here!