A good set of headphones for Nokia 6 and 8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Nothing is impossible but I supposed you need a headphone amp. This is a DIY forum so it's logical all be DIY. If you are looking for commercial products the best is go to the boutique and try with your phone the best sound of your taste.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...is it really easy to make headphones?

No.

You have to find teeny loudspeakers tuned to sound good close-up. While I have used small radio speakers, the sound quality was bad. The headphone makers build their own drivers (or contract with a factory that specializes in small speakers). They put them in complete headphones. Naked drivers are rarely available; if they are, the pair costs nearly as much as the complete headphone.

Yes, you can DIY tiny speakers. You can't really DIY a good small magnet and it is hard to find the right magnet unless you order thousands. Making the pole pieces is "just" precision iron-cutting on a lathe. Making a voice coil is very small tedious work. Making the diaphragm... one company published an account of their development, making hundreds of test diaphragms out of many materials with many small changes to curve and corrugation.

You need "cups" which usually have their own acoustic tunings. You need ear-cushions with the right amount of closed or open.

Then you have to make a headband. I have used coat-hangers, I have used piano wire.

Even the cord can be a hassle.

Since pre-made headphones in every range from >>$500 to <$5 are readily available, widely reviewed, mostly competitively priced, I don't see headphones as a DIY project. I did, once, for a special need; but it was overwhelming.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.