Headphone Impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Got a slight problem I woud like your advice on. Time and age has come when I have decided to start listening again to my old vinyl records, early 60s to ate 70s collection. Now just to be really retro I've also decided to go completely tube based on the equipment, but here comes the problem, my headphones. My current set are B&O H4s, great for the BT connection on my 'old solid state' kit but, with an input impedance of 20 Ohms not sure about valve kit. Most of the dedicated valve headpone amps I've looked at seem to range from 35 Ohms up on their output.

So the question is if I build an output R network to jack up the impedance will this have a negative effect on the quality or is there some other way of matching the headphones to the required Z?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would say that the first thing to do is to simply try what have and then make a decision based on the results.

Impedance is a variable quantity and varies with frequency which means that ideally a headphone (and speakers as well) should be driven from a constant voltage source of low impedance. To not do so could make the frequency response uneven, how much so depending on the range the impedance varies by.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.