Clone Audio Technica Class A AT-HA5000 FET Transistor Headphone Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I just bought this diy chinese clone headphone amp (based on positive reviews) which is based on the Class A circuit of the Audio Technica AT-HA5000. I have seen internal pics of the Audio Technica so I know it does not look exactly the same. I don't have a background in electronics and wanted to know if this is a Class A design and if it is a good design going by the pics. It is uses Nover LA, nichichon muse, etc..I have currently been breaking it in for the last few days and I like the sound quality so far. The construction is solid aluminum and it ways just over 4 pounds. The volume control is silky smooth and the amp is dead quiet, no hiss at all. It gets slightly warm but not hot. I am basically an end user but I wanted to make sure I made a good buy or not. Looking for opinions. thanks.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 2,488
  • s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2,132
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 2,049
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    139 KB · Views: 2,090
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 2,011
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 778
  • s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 779
  • s-l1600 (7).jpg
    s-l1600 (7).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 754
maybe it's actually the picture quality, but ...
a clone design that is hiding the part number of the output semiconductors?
:)

Anyway, the bottom line is if you like it or not.
If you tap your foot and get lost in the music (versus thinking about the equipment), I say go for it!

mlloyd1

Could have done much, much worse, imo. It will likely continue to work fine for years to come also, nice that the output transistors are thermally coupled to the case.
There are some upgrades you can do later if you are handy with a soldering iron as well. However the important thing is that it works now, justifies the purchase from a relatively unknown source.

An original AT HA-5000 would set you back ~1200 USD.
2 pairs of output MOSFETs cost ~ 20 USD alone when they were still available.
A Japanese R-Core transformer easily 200 USD.

One of these clones is ~ 110 USD on ebay.
So you get what you pay for.
The output MOSFETs are removed from equipment.
And the rest of the components, like the ALPS pots, Fukushima power resistors, etc are just Chinese look-alikes.

If you want to DIY a real clone, then you should just buy a PCB and collect all the components yourself.
But that would cost you close to the 1200 USD asking price in the end.
And you should not attempt such projects without elecronics knowledge.

No free lunch.

Patrick

An original AT HA-5000 would set you back ~1200 USD.
2 pairs of output MOSFETs cost ~ 20 USD alone when they were still available.
A Japanese R-Core transformer easily 200 USD.

One of these clones is ~ 110 USD on ebay.
So you get what you pay for.
The output MOSFETs are removed from equipment.
And the rest of the components, like the ALPS pots, Fukushima power resistors, etc are just Chinese look-alikes.

If you want to DIY a real clone, then you should just buy a PCB and collect all the components yourself.
But that would cost you close to the 1200 USD asking price in the end.
And you should not attempt such projects without elecronics knowledge.

No free lunch.

Patrick

How would you know if these components are "chinese looka-likes"? Are most manufacturer components made in china anyways? Yes, I know that can happen, so I went by the 100 percent positive feedback on Ebay. The sound quality of this amp is very good, comparable to a Teac HA-501 class a headphone amp I used to own which cost $800 at the time a few years ago. I guess time will tell if components fail or not but the build quality is very very good. I took a look inside as well. cheers.

Some HA-5000 clone are in name only. The best HA-5000 clone on the market currently is the Zero Zone kit or complete unit. Read this thread.

AT-HA-5000 schematic

HTB1FSRoRXXXXXbhXpXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg

Okay sure, but I am liking the sound quality of the Breeze Audio. Have been using it everyday for a week. Took a look inside again today and everything seems okay. Would be interesting to compare the above with the Breeze Audio regarding sound quality. :D

Okay sure, but I am liking the sound quality of the Breeze Audio. Have been using it everyday for a week. Took a look inside again today and everything seems okay. Would be interesting to compare the above with the Breeze Audio regarding sound quality. :D
The Breeze Audio clone is also one of the better HA-5000 with very good topology. If you like the sound, it is all it counts.

At 1/3 the cost of the Zero Zone clone, it is a much better value. Congratulation on your decision.

Hello,

I just bought this diy chinese clone headphone amp (based on positive reviews) which is based on the Class A circuit of the Audio Technica AT-HA5000. I have seen internal pics of the Audio Technica so I know it does not look exactly the same. I don't have a background in electronics and wanted to know if this is a Class A design and if it is a good design going by the pics. It is uses Nover LA, nichichon muse, etc..I have currently been breaking it in for the last few days and I like the sound quality so far. The construction is solid aluminum and it ways just over 4 pounds. The volume control is silky smooth and the amp is dead quiet, no hiss at all. It gets slightly warm but not hot. I am basically an end user but I wanted to make sure I made a good buy or not. Looking for opinions. thanks.

Hey OP I just bought this as well! I was looking for the best bang for my buck type of thing and I've always liked the idea of Chinese products for being quality products for the dollar. How do you like it? How does it compare to your other products? Mine is on the way, and I will be pairing it with HD 650.

Hey OP I just bought this as well! I was looking for the best bang for my buck type of thing and I've always liked the idea of Chinese products for being quality products for the dollar. How do you like it? How does it compare to your other products? Mine is on the way, and I will be pairing it with HD 650.

I like the sound quality and I also use it with HD650.

I like the sound quality and I also use it with HD650.

I received mine on Friday May 18th. I had some decent time listening it to it and I must say it sounds fantastic. I haven't had much audio equipment, but this amplifier sure has some power.

I did play around with DAC's and you can tell differences between my DACs very easily. I tried the SMSL m3 acting as a DAC-only and then a Topping D10 DAC.

Between these two dacs on this amplifier, the results are completely opposites. The SMSL m3 has much more lower end IMO, while the D10 has better clarity on the higher end. To describe it I found the M3 lower notes fun to listen to in things like Hip-Hop, where there's bassy punches where you just feel and nod with the music. The Topping D10 instead makes you listen to the higher end notes in female vocals in things like Pop. Where you can just feel those high end notes and makes you shiver in a good way. Hard to say which I prefer as my dailies. I will have to keep doing some listening comparisons in the next few days (changing cables is such a pain tho :().

Again these are with HD 650s, HD 589 C's, and SHP9500s. I might have to dabble in some DT 770s for upgraded closed backs :p

The original HA5000 was old tech with technology of the day that only enabled the giant boards...

Also transformers are not THAT costly... :whazzat:
The breeze HA5000 is the best layout from what i've seen
Some tech get better with age like wine. See the popularity of vinyl and tube amplification. I will pick a power MOSFET output over class D/T amp anytime as of today.

Hello,
How this one sounds ? It is warm sounding amp or rather bright/analitical ?

I would say this amp sounds neutral. It is not bright at all. I had a Teac HA-501 before this and it is comparable with the Teac. There is absolutely no hiss, dead quiet when a song ends. I have listened to various music on youtube, rock, space ambient, pyschill, etc.. all sound good. very very happy with this amp. class a also. It gets slightly warm but it is class a. used it during a hot summer and it got a little warmer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.