One good set of headphones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’ve moved house recently and now have neighbours (unfortunately) so have to reconsider my listenening habits. I don’t actually play music very loudly generally but occasionally it is nice to do so, but with new neighbours the volume I listen too has to be reduced.
So I’m looking to buy (for the first time) a decent pair of headphones that will replace listening to speakers for those louder listening sessions.
I have looked and read many reviews but because of my location it will be practically impossible to go and audition any at all. I’ll therefore have to buy on spec. which is a little bewildering considering the vast choice available. The headphones will be for home use only with a head amp and maybe via an ipad.
I think I’d prefer ‘open backed’ and an ‘around ear’ design as I’d like to keep my ears free from pressure. I’m not bothered about them being ‘wireless’.
Price wise will depend on whether I go second hand or new so maybe £200.00 new as a rough idea.

I’ve read good things about Sennheiser Momentum and other Sennheisers, Philips Fidelio X2 and numerous others on ‘Headfi’ but can I ask, if I were to buy one pair of headphones that fit my criteria, what would they be, and what amp? I like the reviews and facilities offered by the ‘iCAN’ amp. Thoughts on this?

Music wise..........bit of everything but they must do justice to Yello and Boris Blank production techniques. 😎

Cheers

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
They are starting to go out of production, but I have several headphones and like the sound of my less expensive Status Audio OB-1’s best. The fit is very comfortable and the bass is excellent. Overal balance presentation is more laid back and not fatiguing. They only cost $60 new although prices are rising. I have DT-880-250, HE-400i, Sony MDR-V6, and lots of IEMs. You need an amp. Lots of choices but I am biased towards SE Class A amps. If anywhere you should use Class A, it is with headphones.

Be sure to purchase a set of headphones you can try on. Most "over ear" type nowadays are not true over ear, they sit on part of it and cause discomfort, some rather quickly. I have an older Sennheiser HD570 that is fabulously comfortable, oversized cups with a cloth covering, the comfort is worth any price. I'm not sure what would be the equivalent model nowadays, but you really can't go wrong with Sennheiser. Also, there are "open" and "closed" back headphones, the open ones bleed sound, but are considered to generally sound better. Closed phones are to not disturb someone sitting next to you.

Thanks for the input......
I’ll not be able to try on any headphones easily as I’m in rural Northumberland, so quite away from anywhere that sells headphones. Frustrating really but I could waste a lot of time money and fuel traveling around just trying them out. Might be in London for a city break in the near future however.
The HiFI Man H400i look interesting with some great reviews comparing them to Sennheiser HD6** and Oppo PM1’s . With the right amp the H400i might be ideal. Around £200.00 on eBay at the moment!
Any thoughts on the iCAN headphone amp? I’d like to try the cross-feed facility and the bass boost. Or is it better to go for Class A (SE) as has been suggested?

Personally I've never enjoyed closed back headphones, even with the higher ended ones like Denon D7000, JVC DX1000, ATH W5000. Last time I tried the over-hyped Sennheiser Momentum 2, and my god, they sucked big time! All of them have the same 'echo' sound of closed earcups. Seems to me I'm always a opened back lover.

Just don't believe in anything from HF. They are a bunch of hype lovers. The site quality went down dramatically many years recently, especially when the admin guy switched to Huddler to squeeze more cash.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Thanks for the input......
I’ll not be able to try on any headphones easily as I’m in rural Northumberland, so quite away from anywhere that sells headphones. Frustrating really but I could waste a lot of time money and fuel traveling around just trying them out. Might be in London for a city break in the near future however.
The HiFI Man H400i look interesting with some great reviews comparing them to Sennheiser HD6** and Oppo PM1’s . With the right amp the H400i might be ideal. Around £200.00 on eBay at the moment!
Any thoughts on the iCAN headphone amp? I’d like to try the cross-feed facility and the bass boost. Or is it better to go for Class A (SE) as has been suggested?

They are very easy to drive with my portable xDuoo X3. That was also one of the strong points. The bad thing is that you need a better cable, oem cable is pretty ****, too stiff and the cable is prone to cracking at the connector.

Beyerdynamics DT770, DT880 and DT990 really have outstanding tonal balance and quality. Really neutral, and also a pleasure to wear. They also fit your description of "open backed" and "around ear"!

I own a pair of DT770, which are the cheapest of the trio, at an amazing quality/price ratio. I would really recommend those. They also come in different impedances, so if you'll mostly listen through a good headamp you should ideally go for the 250 ohms version, but there is also an 80 ohms version.

I think the ipad should be perfectly able to drive the 250 ohms version. My phone, a Sony Xperia XA1, is perfectly capable to drive them to decently loud levels.

Just my 2 cents... Good luck!

DT770 are closed back. I do agree they sound good but they are too tight for my head and I can only use them for short periods. YMMV
Yes, my bad, technically they are closed, but actually they are ported, see my picture.

880 and 990 are semi-opened and opened though. DSC_0519~2.jpg

If it is difficult to audit gear then I personally would advocate buying from well known hifi producers that deliver both to the pro and consumer markets. Examples would be Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic and so forth.

I prefer open backed designs. Sennheiser have these in the 500 and 600 series. The top end of the 500 series would be in your price range when buying new and the 600 series are available in my market at least around your price limit.

I have both the older hd555 (modded to 595 (old top model in 500 series)) and the hd650 and I am very happy with them. Though the difference between them is staggering. To the point that if the choice is the new HD599 or a used HD600/650 i would definetly go for a set of used cans.

I have washed the ear pads with at 40c a couple of times and it seems to work well.

They leak a fair bit of sound which can be an issue or not.

If audition isn't possible, it'd be a good thing to have a broad idea of what you're looking for:

- a seemingly flat frequency response or something that emphasizes bass and/or trebble.
- a relaxed sound for long sessions or something more "exciting".
- an "airy" presentation or something more full bodied.

The list could go on and on, and I realize that all this would be pretty subjective. Still, that'd help.

It's hard to go wrong with the offerings of sennheiser, AKG, beyer at around your price point. I've personally settled on the hd650 as a good all-rounder but I'm not quite sure it'd be my weapon of choice for electronic music. I was fairly impressed by the spirit pro by focal (despite it being a closed one) but it seems that they have serious build quality issue.

Some great choices and info. to consider from everyone so thank you all. Got a bit of researching and review reading to do.
I doubt whether I’ll be in for long listening sessions, maybe a CD or two at a time. I think I’d prefer any sound that emulates speakers as much as possible so open backed is most likely for this. I do like the extremely dynamic, very deep and complex production of Yello and Boris Blank so this needs to be handled really well.
I do not want to be drawn into a further search for audio bliss (as with speakers) by buying multiple headphones to try out. Just one pair of headphones and one or two amps and that will do me as long as the sound quality is really good.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The HE400i has a bit of a high flair to it, you may like that, some may call it fatiguing. I have a set and can't say I like them all the time. They need a good powerful amp too as only 85dB sensitive and 30ohms. The do have some incredible attack though - stringed instruments sound especially crisp.

Don't overlook IEMs: maybe check out the KZ ZS5 or ZS6 hybrid dual balanced armatures and dual dynamic drivers. Bass that goes infrasonic HT style and clear mids and highs. Priced very attractively under $35 and sound excellent. Needs $9 upgraded silver braid cable as stock is too sticky and has microphonics.

For years and years, the Sennheiser HD600 was my preferred choice of listening to music, TV, films, YouTube, you name it.
Wired, comfortable, open backed and with replaceable parts. Cushions and wire needing regular replacement if you use them as much as I do.

As I live in a not so quiet area and also have neighbours, I started looking into noise cancelling headphones and decided on the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0. I haven't used the HD600 ever since.

This is a completely different generation of Sennheiser than the old school HD600, but I love it. Bluetooth is my main way of connecting it but wired through USB or an analogue input is also possible, but once you've gotten used to wireless, that feels rather cumbersome.

One thing you have to do is take into account that your hearing gets used to a particular sound. In the beginning I thought the bass in the Momentum was a bit pronounced, but soon psychoacoustics took care of that. So, unless there are serious shortcomings in the sound, it doesn't really matter that much if the tonal balance isn't exactly right, your brain soon makes it so. So trying different headphones may not be necessary at all.

Hello,

I have a pair of AKG K701s which I used to use for critical listening but after auditioning and subsequently purchasing a pair of B&O Beoplay H6s I haven’t used the AKGs once.

The H6s are superbly made and sound exquisite. Not necessarily tonally flat but boy do the make listening to anything super enjoyable.

I got that model in particular because they are their top of the range wired headphones. Not interested in noise cancellation or blue tooth.

The long time sustained comfort is also incredible.

One thing I forgot to mention is that there is an advantage in buying headphones that can be repaired by the owner. Preferably without a soldering iron. That the producer stocks and makes replacement parts so when something goes wrong it can be repaired without costing about the price of a new set of headphones.

If you use the product a fair bit it is likely to need a repair sooner or later. I have replaced the cable on my Sennheiser HD650 once in six or so years of use. When I upgraded to these from the HD555 it was due to a faulty cable. I chose a new set of cans but later on replaced the cable on the hd555's and it was not too hard.

This is not an endorsement for Sennheiser per se, just a happy customer.

You can get a good deal on HD650 aka HD6XX on massdrop from time to time.

They dont fit Harman Target response curve perfectly but they incredibly smooth in their response without any weird "ringing" in high frequencies that headphones tend to have.

Be sure to audition whatever you decide to buy first though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.