One good set of headphones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Massdrop has their HD650 clone right now for $200 shipped. I have never done massdrop, but it may be a good idea to jump on it if interested, they do run out. I think you can't go wrong with just about any Senn headphone, I love the HD570, my favorite bud is the CX500 and I have about 20 different ones, and I just got the 231G for a lightweight on ear use and it is about 90% of the HD570 sound quality and quite comfortable.

Looks like international shipping is $15. Probably will close in a day or two, very near the limit.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for their input, it has all been very helpful. I’ve had some good time reading reviews and specs. and there is a lot to consider but I think I’m going to be really tempted by the HiFi Man HE400i, especially as they are at £180.00 on Amazon at the moment. They seems to fit all the criteria that I think might be ideal for me. Plus Amazon have a great ‘returns’ policy just in case of any issues.
Amp wise I keep getting drawn to the iCAN because of reviews and the bass and crossfeed facility.

I know the HD570 I have are not the end all, but I can't see myself buying another open backed headphone when I already have a pair. What would be a good closed back headphone to have in the arsenal? Seems most recommended models are open back. Something along the lines of the HD6XX, but closed back and comfortable? Wife sits 4' away from me half the time and I need something that won't disturb her.

I remember listening to a pair of ‘Jecklin Float’ electrostatic headphones back in the 80’s and was stunned by the sound at the time. I also tried on a pair of Sennheiser HD 800’s in Harrods for a quick listen. If I could justify the expense! I’ve never spent that much on a car!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Headphones are so personal. At work we always use Sony, they are the default. I finally settled on Fostex for home use because they sound the most neutral on my ears. That's the important part. I once made the mistake of buying Grado can because of all the good reviews. Never again! :eek:

Headphones are so personal. At work we always use Sony, they are the default. I finally settled on Fostex for home use because they sound the most neutral on my ears. That's the important part. I once made the mistake of buying Grado can because of all the good reviews. Never again! :eek:
I have been using Takstar HI2050 since some years and can't praise them enough. I have bought Senns HD650 recently and will probably sell them again, cannot justify the small step up for so much money...

I am not afraid of 2nd hand stuff. So I found a bargain Technics EAH-820 and a Peerless PMB-100, both planar (orthodynamic), that I have been using for decades. They have fake leather cushion. This is incomfortable for long wearing due to skin contact. On the Technics it is based on textile, and the black fake leather could be easily peeled off from the brown textile base. Now it is quite wearable.

I live in London, and could not find a shop that I could audition the headphones I wanted to. I went to Audio Affair in Birmingham. It is walkable from New Street station, and has a very high quality streaming feed, which you can listen to any genre of music you desire. I was in there for about 1 1/2 hours, and could have stayed longer. I ended up choosing headphones that I had not even shortlisted; the benefit of auditioning. (Sennheiser 600)

I even got a rediculously cheap train fare.

open vs closed back

++ open no yoghurt cup sound effect.
stax are fully open, i can see through the drivers.(it is possible to simulate effect, with palms aimed to headphones, 5-10cm away from backside)
--you WILL hear your loud neighbour next door., interfering to your music...

++closed, ambient sound cancellation. nice to have in loud area (active noise cancelling versions), you do not disturb nearby persons..
-- yoghurt cup effect risk (comb filtering)
I once made the mistake of buying Grado can because of all the good reviews. Never again! :eek:
people say they are very bright, treble rich.

I live in a very quiet area of countryside in Northumberland down a small lane off a small village so will not be disturbed by any ambient noise...apart from the wife clattering around in the kitchen
I’d love to audition some headphones but it will not be possible really. From what ‘midrange says though I wish I were closer to Birmingham. I’ll have to go with what people have have said here and what I have read and watched on video. I must say that all roads seem to lead to planar and open backed and judging by the reviews to HiFi Man HE400i
Now at £180.00 new on Amazon. I need to make that decision soon so unless any other options become apparent to me then this looks like the best choice for me.

people say they are very bright, treble rich.

I wonder do they measure their headphones, or listen for that matter?

If you want accurate(neutral), yet affordable. Take a look at Beyerdynamic DT 880, their FR matches Harman Target quite nicely, they do have bit of a bass boost, but have a resonance around 6kHz that might be fatiguing!

Over the time I have heard several planar magentic(LCD2, Aeon MrSpeakers) and I have heard the famed Stax(there are few electrostatic manufacturers on the market atm, these look quite amazing)), as well as high end dynamic headphones(HD800S, Focal Utopia).
I have to say, after HD600/650 and some and some other dynamics in that price range diminishing returns hits REALLY HARD!

Electrostatic headphones are not without problems and IMO with Stax you trade marginal problems for irritating problems. I think it was the SR-407, they sounded quite thin, their only redeeming quality was treble and okay imaging. They also break really easy. Speaking of breaking, Hifiman are notorious for their awful plastic QC.

I was quite fond of LCD, amazing low end that goes deep really clear, but the mids and highs are not on the same level as HD650 IMO.

I really regret selling my sr225. Grado make a great second pair of headphones. Genius on some music, awful on some.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.