One good set of headphones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have used Senns HD595 for years (with Marcello Pellerano Zen head amp and Pass Whammy recently). A few days ago I got 3 weeks old HD600 off fleabay in pristine condition (just at top of your budget). HD600 have all I missed in HD595. But HD595 are not too bad at all as an entry pair of cans.

Good deals on headphones can be obtained by searching for current deals or putting ticklers for them at slickdeals.net, then jumping on them quickly. I picked up a pair of ok Cowin E7 phones a few weeks back for $12 shipped, though it was probably a pricing mistake.

The value of auditioning phones at a store is not what one would expect. Perhaps useful to determine whether the fit is right, but it was difficult to differentiate between the models and how they would sound on your amp, which is the important thing. So if you are unable to go to a store to audition, no need to feel deprived about it.

It's hard to ask for HP when it totally depends on your sound signature preference.
Based on my sound signature preference, and without breaking the bank:

Closed: Sony MDR-7506 ~$90
Open: Philips SHP-9500 ~$60

Both can be worn for many hours without signs of fatigue. They are IMHO the most comfortable HP I have ever tried.
I bought many, sold many, and even though I have some considerably more expensive sitting around, I tend to pick those up more frequently than not.

I bought beyerdynamic DT990's back in December as my first pair of open backs. Paired them with an Arcam rHead which at the time was on offer for £170 and was blown away by the detail, soundstage etc. However, I felt for hard rock and metal they were a little too bright and fatiguing but for acoustic or electronic they were amazing.

In mid January I bought the HE-400i for £180 and couldn't be happier, until six weeks later the dreaded yoke cracking begun. Have had the headband replaced under warranty and all good again, for how long I don't know.

Just my two-pence worth but I would still recommend the HE-400i even though the yoke build quality is pants, they are just so much fun to listen to for hours on end. Also HiFiMan will sell the older style headband for $60 delivered to UK and it will fit with correct captive nut and screw. There's also a guy on reddit from the Netherlands who has 3D printed yokes to replace the poop originals.

There is also a massdrop for the HifiMan HE4XX for $169.

I ordered the Pioneer MDR7506, since I'm looking for a closed back set, and returned it, this headphone and just about every headphone I tried at Best Buy (Sony and Bose, mostly) sits on the ear and is instantly uncomfortable. Fact is, my HD570 weighs only 7 oz, has fabric ear ups, and the cups sit fully around my ear, not on it, I'm wondering if there are still any made that are actually around the ear?

Pretty sure they exist - Beyerdynamic DT770s come to mind, for example. Let's ask a store... oh yeah, Shure SRH840s (maybe 1540s if not too spendy), AKG K550s, and the trusty Sennheiser HD280Pros and AKG K271 MkIIs (with mods for less anemic bass). HD380Pros should be quite good, too, HD4xx tend to be OK if unspectacular, no idea how good HD569s are.

As for the OP - buying headphones unheard is very risky business. That leaves pretty much only models that are very hard to go wrong with (even though they may not be outstanding in any single aspect). HD600s would be a classic example.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have the HE400i and they sound pretty good - a bit hot on the top end though, and need a powerful amp. Nothing a 5w SE Class A amp can't handle. I tried DT770's - did not like them one bit and returned them. I have DT880-250 chromes and like them a lot but sensitivity is not really 96dB (closer to 90dB to 93dB). I can highly recommend OB-1's but sadly they are discontinued. I like them more than both the HE400i and DT880-250, even though the latter two cost way more.

Last edited:
I’m very happy with the HE400i but then I have not had the opportunity to listen to other headphones of the same price band. Have not found them hot on the top end though. I have particularly enjoyed some of the binaural content on YouTube of high end speakers and some of the ‘Kenrick Sound’ videos.
An ifi ican amp arrived today which I’m looking forward to getting going.....just got in from work so food and drink is more important right now.

Hi,
In this budget range, I recently bought a china headphone : bosshifi b8
I red some positive and interesting reviews on french forums, so I'll post my first feelings here as soon as I'll receive it.
This headphone is sold on Ali, EB, etc...
There are open and closed versions.
Regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.