Electrolytic parallel to load

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I have a headphone amp that I just purchased, is based on a JC-2.
It has a conventional zobel and just downstream there is a 47uf cap in series with a 5k R to ground.

Would this be there to provide a slight load, for stability, or ?

Attachments

• 58C0EE84-027D-4A98-8DA7-D9BE4BE85FD6.png
    58C0EE84-027D-4A98-8DA7-D9BE4BE85FD6.png
    373.9 KB · Views: 224

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...47uf cap in series with a 5k R to ground....

Looks like 1.2K.

You did not mention the 10K.

Output is clearly from L_OUT.

LV- is something else. Not Shown. My *guess* is DC error detection with large audio signals suppressed 10:1.

If that is the function, the cap should be non-polar. Polar electrolytic may work for some time, but "is wrong" when the voltage may be reversed for extended time.

I presume "based on" is a loose description.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So I have a headphone amp that I just purchased, is based on a JC-2.
It has a conventional zobel and just downstream there is a 47uf cap in series with a 5k R to ground.

Would this be there to provide a slight load, for stability, or ?

Looks like bass boost to me. High frequencies get attenuated some, low frequencies less.

BTW Those caps valued '104' and '473' of course are 100nF and 47nF respectively ;-)

Jan

Last edited:
I have put a 10nf bypass on the 47uf electrolytic feedback capacitor, and am using some Russian polystyrene parts for the rest of the smaller sizes.

The board uses, and is labeled 100nf in the locations that are indicated as 47nf on the schematic. I am using 47nf in both positions, since I have a decent quantity here.

There is a reference to “LV -“ that tells the complete story, is the feedback loop, and that was pointed out earlier. There is another “LV-“ callout elsewhere on the schematic.

At first glance the circuit can look different if you don’t take that into consideration, and I was also thinking it could be some bass boost type of filter until it was made apparent.

I really shouldn’t work on this stuff when I have the flu...

Sounds very good now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.