Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

"Pop" when relay closed or open.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2017, 01:50 PM   #31
flacman is offline flacman  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Then R5=22k is definitely not suitable.
You would need ~94V at the top of R5 to get sufficient base current to saturate Q3.
No. I do not use components like the diagram above.
I have set up from the beginning. I set 35mA for the relay's coil. I use A1013 transistor (hfe~40-100). I set base current of this transistor about 1.2mA for it's saturate mode.
Old 31st December 2017, 02:01 PM   #32
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Just solder a couple of wires to the amp output and then dab them across the headphone plug. That will tell you instantly if what you hear is down to the offset.
Old 31st December 2017, 02:31 PM   #33
HotIce is offline HotIce  United States
diyAudio Member

If the pop is when the relay closes *and* open, then it is definitely a DC offset issue.
Old 1st January 2018, 08:26 AM   #34
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacman View Post
No. I do not use components like the diagram above.
I have set up from the beginning. I set 35mA for the relay's coil. I use A1013 transistor (hfe~40-100). I set base current of this transistor about 1.2mA for it's saturate mode.
What is the point in posting a schematic you did not use? Are you deliberately wasting our time?
Old 1st January 2018, 09:23 AM   #35
flacman is offline flacman  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
What is the point in posting a schematic you did not use? Are you deliberately wasting our time?
Sorry brother!
I'm afraid to write a lot, because my English is bad.

According to your analysis, 5mV DC offset can also cause 55db "pop" sound. I think this is the cause.
I will continue this topic to find more experiences of people using other popular consumer amplifiers.

I heard people say that:
- FiioA5 (psu +-11V) has not any noise when switching relay
- TrasamHa2pro (psu +-10V) has not any noise, too. But when the user replace the opamp with the Burson V5i opamp, the "pop" sound occurred.
Old 1st January 2018, 10:46 AM   #36
JensH is online now JensH  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacman View Post
But when the user replace the opamp with the Burson V5i opamp, the "pop" sound occurred.
My guess is that this is due to the rather high bias current of the Burson op-amp. If the original circuit used an op-amp with a low bias current, e.g. with a FET input, you may get a relatively large offset when replacing it with an op-amp, which has a high bias current.
The 3 uA typical bias current of the V5i could cause an offset of 5 mV with a 1666 ohm feedback resistor (around 1k6 standard value), which sounds like a realistic resistor value.
Old 20th January 2018, 06:24 AM   #37
vladimirb0b is offline vladimirb0b  United States
diyAudio Member

Try a 100uF cap across both diodes.

"Pop" when relay closed or open.Hide this!Advertise here!