Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

"Pop" when relay closed or open.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2017, 10:52 AM   #11
Samsara is offline Samsara  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensH View Post
I don't see any basic problems with the circuit shown. The amp outputs are not shorted to GND. The circuit comes from this page:

Loudspeaker Protection and Muting

With the component values shown it does require a relatively high supply voltage, which may not be available in a headphone amplifier, but that is easy to change by changing component values.
You right.

Quote:
But if the amplifier has an offset, even after stabilizing the DC operating points, there will still be a pop sound at turn on and off.
Only if the schematic is not adapted to the supply voltage, if adapted and have rational delay there will not be "PLOP" .
In this case (but need Flacman's confirmation and details), it seems there's no adaptation, and maybe the relay never switched off (GND to headphone/speaker).
Old 28th December 2017, 11:44 AM   #12
dotneck335 is offline dotneck335  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
The amp outputs are shown as grounded in the off state. Post #1, right hand side of diagram.
NO, THEY ARE NOT!!! Look carefully---the SPEAKER connection is grounded, NOT the amplifier output---that would be silly.
Old 28th December 2017, 02:09 PM   #13
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotneck335 View Post
NO, THEY ARE NOT!!! Look carefully---the SPEAKER connection is grounded, NOT the amplifier output---that would be silly.
Please read ALL the posts.

Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 04:17 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotneck335 View Post
that would be silly.
Not really because it's for protect speakers.
For example , Chevin A6000 have triac for short speaker output to GND if there's DC.
Of course, for professional during a show it's better to lose the amp than the speakers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chevin A6000.jpg (623.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 31st December 2017, 07:22 AM   #15
flacman is offline flacman  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Quote:

But if the amplifier has an offset, even after stabilizing the DC operating points, there will still be a pop sound at turn on and off.
My amp's DC offset are ~5mV (i think this is verry low).

The "pop" sound loud when the relay is closed (when the headphone is connected to the amplifier) , while the relay is open, the "pop"vsound is very small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
You right.

Only if the schematic is not adapted to the supply voltage, if adapted and have rational delay there will not be "PLOP" .
In this case (but need Flacman's confirmation and details), it seems there's no adaptation, and maybe the relay never switched off (GND to headphone/speaker).
I don't know what you mean. I don't know what the word "adapted" means.
The relay in my circuit is closed/opened definitively.

Sorry for my bad English
Old 31st December 2017, 07:25 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not really because it's for protect speakers.
For example , Chevin A6000 have triac for short speaker output to GND if there's DC.
Of course, for professional during a show it's better to lose the amp than the speakers.
I think so. Speakers/Headphone are always expensive and more important than amplifiers. Thanks a lot for your circuit, I will integrate it into my amp to increase the safety.
Old 31st December 2017, 07:29 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacman View Post
The "pop" sound loud when the relay is closed (when the headphone is connected to the amplifier)
If you hear it exactly when it's closed, it's not possible to hear any sound, because your headphone is grounded (according to schematic) .
You have to check your circuit.
Old 31st December 2017, 07:44 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacman View Post
I think so. Speakers/Headphone are always expensive and more important than amplifiers. Thanks a lot for your circuit, I will integrate it into my amp to increase the safety.
It's useless , use relays.
Or you can use Mosfet as relays like Yamaha power amplifiers , here you can see they use Q112 & Q114 for +B rail for P5000S/P7000S
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 31st December 2017, 07:46 AM   #19
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

Clever.
Old 31st December 2017, 08:08 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you hear it exactly when it's closed, it's not possible to hear any sound, because your headphone is grounded (according to schematic) .
You have to check your circuit.
Yep. When the headphone is grounded, the "pop" sound is very small (may also be the sound of the relay's contact)
But when the headphone is connected to the amplifier, the "pop" sound is quite loud.

"Pop" when relay closed or open.Hide this!Advertise here!