Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Power supply for rechargeable portable DAC/headphone amp
Power supply for rechargeable portable DAC/headphone amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2017, 02:39 PM   #1
Nikolai Petrenko is offline Nikolai Petrenko  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Default Power supply for rechargeable portable DAC/headphone amp

I am planning to build a portable DAC/headphone amp with balanced output (not just a part of portable player, but also as an "output soundcard" for my music processing)

I want to use an 18650 battery since their shape allow easy replacing, pretty enough capacity and most important: rechargeable. Also because primary cells occupied a lot of space. But DAC chip and opamps need higher, even isolated or symmetrical power supplies.

But I am considering about choose voltage booster. TPS65135 or other transformerless method vs inverter style (convert DC to AC/pulse before supply to multi-output transformer). Any comparison of small, high efficiency, low EMI, easy-to-suppress ripple? Two later features are more important.

Thanks!
Old 15th December 2017, 02:53 PM   #2
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Depending on what impedance headphones you're driving (and hence the voltage swings likely to be needed) you may only need a voltage doubler IC. I'm using LM2662 for this purpose in my DACs and headphone amp - it has no shortage of output current (200mA) is low cost and lowest EMI (by virtue of being a charge-pump rather than a boost converter needing an inductor). If you need a negative voltage too you can use another LM2662 to deliver that - the boost mode needs an external diode to prevent latch-up.
Old 15th December 2017, 04:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Depending on what impedance headphones you're driving (and hence the voltage swings likely to be needed) you may only need a voltage doubler IC. I'm using LM2662 for this purpose in my DACs and headphone amp - it has no shortage of output current (200mA) is low cost and lowest EMI (by virtue of being a charge-pump rather than a boost converter needing an inductor). If you need a negative voltage too you can use another LM2662 to deliver that - the boost mode needs an external diode to prevent latch-up.
I use an 16 Ohms orthodynamic headphone. Any suggestion? Many information seem about 32 Ohms dynamic headphones, not ortho.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
With 16ohm load impedance you might not need any step-up converter at all. I have an SE classA amp powering my 56ohm Superluxes which does fine, no shortage of volume running on a single 18650 with no step-up. What's the sensitivity (dB/mW) of your 'phones?
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
With 16ohm load impedance you might not need any step-up converter at all. I have an SE classA amp powering my 56ohm Superluxes which does fine, no shortage of volume running on a single 18650 with no step-up. What's the sensitivity (dB/mW) of your 'phones?
Mine is 94 dB/mW SPL, seem medium.
Can you also give my suggest about volume control method. I have terrible experience with small stereo potentio. Accuracy enough pot seem only too large. I have no experience with digital volume control.
Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM   #6
JPS64 is offline JPS64  Germany
diyAudio Member

@Nikolai

TKD 2CP601 potentiometer not soooo large but not cheap.

My 2 cents.

JP
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS64 View Post
@Nikolai

TKD 2CP601 potentiometer not soooo large but not cheap.

My 2 cents.

JP
I think they are not cheap immediately after see the image
Channel matching seem good enough
But I wish I could make smd stepped attenuator I like the feel of mess up with crazy small stuff

Last edited by Nikolai Petrenko; Yesterday at 03:48 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #8
JPS64 is offline JPS64  Germany
diyAudio Member

... a few mA more from battery!

JP
Attached Images
File Type: png Dann_loeschen.png (172.0 KB, 26 views)
Old Today, 04:38 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS64 View Post
... a few mA more from battery!

JP
What about TPS6513x series? I just began feel scare of discrete or low integration method.
Old Today, 05:38 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Petrenko View Post
Mine is 94 dB/mW SPL, seem medium.
By my calculations you'll only need 1.8V peak to reach 120dB so no need for step-up.

Quote:
Can you also give my suggest about volume control method. I have terrible experience with small stereo potentio. Accuracy enough pot seem only too large.
My suggestion would be to build an integrated DAC-amp using TDA1387 as your DAC. Its volume can be adjusted by a DC voltage control on its 'ref' pin so no need for any pot. Or alternatively use digital volume.

Power supply for rechargeable portable DAC/headphone ampHide this!Advertise here!