Power supply for rechargeable portable DAC/headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to build a portable DAC/headphone amp with balanced output (not just a part of portable player, but also as an "output soundcard" for my music processing)

I want to use an 18650 battery since their shape allow easy replacing, pretty enough capacity and most important: rechargeable. Also because primary cells occupied a lot of space. But DAC chip and opamps need higher, even isolated or symmetrical power supplies.

But I am considering about choose voltage booster. TPS65135 or other transformerless method vs inverter style (convert DC to AC/pulse before supply to multi-output transformer). Any comparison of small, high efficiency, low EMI, easy-to-suppress ripple? Two later features are more important.

Thanks! :trapper:

Depending on what impedance headphones you're driving (and hence the voltage swings likely to be needed) you may only need a voltage doubler IC. I'm using LM2662 for this purpose in my DACs and headphone amp - it has no shortage of output current (200mA) is low cost and lowest EMI (by virtue of being a charge-pump rather than a boost converter needing an inductor). If you need a negative voltage too you can use another LM2662 to deliver that - the boost mode needs an external diode to prevent latch-up.

Depending on what impedance headphones you're driving (and hence the voltage swings likely to be needed) you may only need a voltage doubler IC. I'm using LM2662 for this purpose in my DACs and headphone amp - it has no shortage of output current (200mA) is low cost and lowest EMI (by virtue of being a charge-pump rather than a boost converter needing an inductor). If you need a negative voltage too you can use another LM2662 to deliver that - the boost mode needs an external diode to prevent latch-up.

I use an 16 Ohms orthodynamic headphone. Any suggestion? Many information seem about 32 Ohms dynamic headphones, not ortho.

With 16ohm load impedance you might not need any step-up converter at all. I have an SE classA amp powering my 56ohm Superluxes which does fine, no shortage of volume running on a single 18650 with no step-up. What's the sensitivity (dB/mW) of your 'phones?

Mine is 94 dB/mW SPL, seem medium.
Can you also give my suggest about volume control method. I have terrible experience with small stereo potentio. Accuracy enough pot seem only too large. I have no experience with digital volume control.

... a few mA more from battery!

JP

Attachments

• Dann_loeschen.png
    Dann_loeschen.png
    172 KB · Views: 151
Mine is 94 dB/mW SPL, seem medium.

By my calculations you'll only need 1.8V peak to reach 120dB so no need for step-up.

Can you also give my suggest about volume control method. I have terrible experience with small stereo potentio. Accuracy enough pot seem only too large.

My suggestion would be to build an integrated DAC-amp using TDA1387 as your DAC. Its volume can be adjusted by a DC voltage control on its 'ref' pin so no need for any pot. Or alternatively use digital volume.

By my calculations you'll only need 1.8V peak to reach 120dB so no need for step-up.

My suggestion would be to build an integrated DAC-amp using TDA1387 as your DAC. Its volume can be adjusted by a DC voltage control on its 'ref' pin so no need for any pot. Or alternatively use digital volume.

What a pity! I want something capable of decoding even 32 bit audio files. I don't think 32 bit or how many bit are important but I usually editting audio for film or recording. Always have to convert any thing into 16 bit before play is really a pain in the *** :irked:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.