Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Teardrop headphones amplifier
Teardrop headphones amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2017, 03:02 PM   #1
dreamth is offline dreamth  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default Teardrop headphones amplifier

This is my last headphones amplifier :

Click the image to open in full size.
http://i68.tinypic.com/ea39ly.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2i1iohu.jpg

begining of pcb population:

It's based on the original idea of Ross Mc Donalds depicted in Fig 9 acf-3, the last image here:

http://jrossmacdonald.com/jrm/wp-con...deFollower.pdf

My first version using a depleted pcb from another headphones amplifier which had the output transformers i use now in this project.The output transformers were made by Lazaroiu.

The subject was discussed and simulated also for the first time by G Sabac who helped me with the spice models here and also showed me some flaws in my design allthough i made it public after two days of intense listenings and i was very pleased with the sound:

Teardrop headphones amplifier - Accesorii audio - Forumul Electronistilor
If you need to see those discussions you need to register and translate .

The inductances are some aproximate values of the real transformer.The real values are a bit higher , but not by much.
Capacitors on the schematics have different values on the schematic as i use real bipolar nichicon muse bs and nichicon muse kz in paralel for cathode coupling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teardrop-sym1.jpg (158.0 KB, 114 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip teardrop.zip (159.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 13th June 2018, 07:35 PM   #2
knauf1919 is offline knauf1919  Romania
diyAudio Member

About sound what can you tell us?
Old 15th June 2018, 11:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

This can hardly be called a headphones amplifier, it's more like a tube effect...there's no special amplification due to it. I trust op-amps more when it comes to amplification. The harmonics content it's good, really pleasant , but the upper freq response is not so great as the OT has 1 primary and 1 secondary . In fact the OT was well figured initially, the original calculus made by Dan Minciu is quite good, it just needs the primary to be redestributed in 2 primaries, no more than that. Well some other guy took the merits and made bad replicas of the original OT design unfortunately...I'll remake the original OT design of Dan Minciu when i'll have the time! I just made some "mods" to the original completely different schematic that you know allready as the original green spider pcb in the photo is yours... and it was a "BAD...BAD" ideea as my design escaped the original miller compensation which killed completly the highs that were a small minority in the overall sound aniway, because now i can miss the highs, before that , i didn't know they were there...and you know...you can't miss something you never knew!
Old 15th June 2018, 05:07 PM   #4
Dibya is offline Dibya
diyAudio Member

What are those cute green color caps?
Old 15th June 2018, 07:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Nichicon Muse ES bipolar capacitors.According to these guy: Nichicon Muse ES bipolar caps measured: <-120dB THD, <-140dB IMD
up to 400 mv dc voltage over them, the Audio Precision couldn't measure any distortion due to them. C4-C12 on the schematic are actually one bipolar capacitor and i used two in parallel to make 2000uf.

Last edited by dreamth; 15th June 2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 16th June 2018, 05:32 AM   #6
Dibya is offline Dibya
diyAudio Member

Thanks for reply .

They are really so cute ☺️

Teardrop headphones amplifierHide this!Advertise here!