Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Electrostatic Amp THD Specs/Measurments for the Full Audio Band ?
Electrostatic Amp THD Specs/Measurments for the Full Audio Band ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2017, 12:50 AM   #21
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

~110pF.

Top-of-the-line electrostatic earspeaker : SR-009

Patrick

Last edited by EUVL; 16th November 2017 at 12:53 AM.
Old 18th November 2017, 03:27 AM   #22
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

110pFd is embarrassingly small; device and wiring C is super significant.

Specs work out to 1,000V and 9mA peak (at 10KHz). (I note that the companion amps mostly aim for 350Vrms 500V peak.)

I was under the impression that even shrill recordings did not have FS levels past 6KHz; if they do now, I would not want to hear them. 20KHz power response is not needed. We do not wish to strain at 6Khz; 10KHz seems a good pencil target for a very-good ear-burner.

Then the "ideal" amplifier is as shown in the attached?

NDFPD1N150CG is hasty-search candidate for an all-N-type output: high voltage, low C, ample dissipation.
Attached Images
File Type: gif STAX-drive-1.gif (10.0 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by PRR; 18th November 2017 at 03:36 AM.
Old 18th November 2017, 04:42 AM   #23
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

yes the headphone cable C is very significant part of the load for ES headphones

and Coss, Crss are 1st order important for Q choice

NDFPD1N150CG seems to have good specs

I looked into IXTP01N100D - depletion mode is nice, a little high Coss, may need to cascade at higher V

and I believe the Cree SiC C2M1000170D is used by Gilmore's "Carbon"

Last edited by jcx; 18th November 2017 at 05:03 AM.
Old 18th November 2017, 06:34 PM   #24
hpeter is offline hpeter  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic View Post
about 1400Vpp (500Vrms)
if you want blow the phones into mushroom cloud...thatīs high enough
Old 18th November 2017, 07:13 PM   #25
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How about:
1. The manufacturers,
2. The DIY hobbyists who build and design electrostatic amps.

I see DIY schematics here and there, what's the point on designing another different amp, without aiming at better specs?
Because if you don't measure it, you don't care and you cannot optimize it.
If you have measured it and you don't show the results, then it sucks. Simple as that.
Making a big fuss about specs sounds more like work than like hobby to me. The point of designing another hobby amp is that you like doing so.

Anyway, my direct-drive amplifier for an electrostatic loudspeaker had a distortion of about 0.2 % at 10 kHz, measured single-ended. The real (balanced) value was probably lower, but my distortion meter has no differential input.
Old 18th November 2017, 08:36 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

By the way, if I were to design an amplifier for electrostatic headphones, especially for DIY electrostatic headphones, my first priority would be to reliably limit the output current to a non-lethal value, rather than to maximize the power bandwidth.
Old 18th November 2017, 09:25 PM   #27
MrMagic is offline MrMagic  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelvdG View Post
By the way, if I were to design an amplifier for electrostatic headphones, especially for DIY electrostatic headphones, my first priority would be to reliably limit the output current to a non-lethal value, rather than to maximize the power bandwidth.
Great idea, I 'll try to do this!
And I just thought how: It should sense the existence of a current drawn towards the ground (instead of the current drawn to the output terminals). When that current reaches a threshold, it will cut the power until the user resets it (like a home safety relay) in a millisecond or so.
The challenge is to make it 1) reliable, 2) with minimum part count and 3) not load or affect the outputs -it should monitor all four outputs BTW. Or six if you include the bias (which is rather not dangerous due to the high resistance in series).

Last edited by MrMagic; 18th November 2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 18th November 2017, 09:39 PM   #28
MrMagic is offline MrMagic  Greece
diyAudio Member

double post, [due to a site bug, I was just editing a previous post]

Last edited by MrMagic; 18th November 2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 18th November 2017, 09:41 PM   #29
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelvdG View Post
yes, at a head-fi meet I quickly handed back a Bamboo shelled ES headphone when it made my hand tingle

I don't know if any regulatory agency has said anything about commercial ES Headphones or Amps - EN-60065 only costs US$514 from UL

Do It Yourself - www.Head-Case.org threads do show a specs race - PS stored energy higher than a defibrillator, bias currents to 10s of mA (direct contact shock protection RCD trip current is 5 mA)

Last edited by jcx; 18th November 2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 18th November 2017, 09:54 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The challenge to achieve a difficult goal that you desire (like awesome specs), makes design more fun and worthwhile.

The same with the challenge to make something novel and better -at least in some ways, and owing something I can't currently buy. If it's novel, that's even better as no-one else can buy something similar either
If you enjoy making circuits with awesome specs, go ahead and have fun! I generally like building somewhat unconventional circuits that I like conceptually. Of course they also should work well.

Quote:
Congratulations! You are the first in the world who publishes his amp's specs at a frequency other than 1Khz!

That said, my goal is to beat that number by 20 -at least, and at 20Khz, not 10.
The measurements have been on the Internet since early 2004, in the zip file at the bottom of this page: Elektrostatic Loudspeakers

Frankly, my main goal when I made my direct-drive amplifier for electrostatic loudspeakers was to survive; its 2.66 kV supply that could easily deliver lethal currents scared the hell out of me. That's why I settled for a rather simple and inefficient topology that needed as little debugging as possible. It sounded fine, though, although the maximum volume was insufficient.

Electrostatic Amp THD Specs/Measurments for the Full Audio Band ?Hide this!Advertise here!