Headphone amplifier mod recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My guess is that each of those two groups of 7 caps is the reservoir capacitance feeding one or other of the two regulators. So they do the job of smoothing the incoming full-wave rectified AC from the transformer. I wouldn't expect exchanging them to make much difference simply because they're on the far side of the regulators, looking from the amplifier. But you could use your new caps as local decoupling on the amplifier board, they'll have more effect there on the sound.

I’ve noticed that typical headphone driving decoupling is usually around 470uf per rail.
Around the op amp I would try something like this, but with more upstream, after the regulator.

10PCS ELNA SILMIC ARS 22UF 35V | eBay

If more funds were available, I would try different op amps, but not without trying power supply improvements first.

Another low budget mod could be to use a snubber on the rectifier diodes, will have to read up on that first.

Maybe replace the 1N4004 diodes with Schottky or fast recovery diodes while you're replacing the caps. SBYV27-200 diodes might be a good choice. A snubber on the transformer secondary would also be helpful but not as straight-forward as the diode swap. There are some great threads on this here. Simple, no-math transformer snubber using Quasimodo test-jig is a good place to start but maybe more than you want to get into right now.

Looks like Phase and I were typing at same time............

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.