The Pioneer Super Linear Circuit

Replaced C2 with 10uF (can I leave X7R there or is it much better to reorder the original Panasonic - you had it there for a reason I suppose) for the time being and inserted 5k trimmer (this is what I had in my drawer, I had 10k originally but it was not multiturn, this thing is very delicate so I wanted to use multiturn after all)
I can now turn on the output stage and control the current.

I have set it up at 160mA, I see 35mV offset at the output. (my build does not have servo yet- hopefully never; I forgot to remove servo from the LSpice simulation - for a moment I could not reconcile spice with my build...)

I am pretty sure Patrick has already given up on me regarding SLHPA.
I bought PCBs from Patrick before Covid. To my excuse I can say that the DigiKey parcel with all component arrived at my office one day after I started working from home in the first lockdown.
Meanwhile I have built UTHAiM so I kept myself busy and less motivated given how nice UTHAiM.

Anyway here it is (one problem - I've blown the protection circuit in the final assembly - I connected the power supply to the protection circuit in reverse - I was very careful during the whole build, checked and rechecked everything, bought a dual lab PS with current limit to test (it saved my life a few times) and then it takes just one brain fart and puff - I guess the op amp is gone and maybe other things)

So, no protection for some time. The offset in one channel is 2-4mV and 10-12mV in the other (I need to look at this channel again, but I can live with 10-12mV offset for now).

(please do not comment on the volume knob - can't remember where I put the one I actually want to use).

I replaced the alu front panel with the wooden one - it was meant to be a prototype before I drill the one supplied with the chassis. But in fact I like it this way.

Attachments

• IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Regarding SLHPA and UTHAiM they sound similar and great. In my case probably the diff comes from different xfeed in each of them. I like they xfeed with values in the SLHPA doc so I will make a copy for UTHAiM and compare more. Also SLHPA is dual mono with Patrick's regulators. My UTHAiM has one transformer and dual PSs down the line with capacitance multipliers.

Did I say SLHPA sounds great? Yes it does! Thanks Patrick!

Attachments

• IMG_1350.jpg
    IMG_1350.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 85
I am sure you can improve the wiring. :geek:
See photos of my build.

For temporary protection, just use an output coupling cap.
e.g. Panasonic ECE-A1EN102U // WIMA MKS2 10µ

As to sound, the UTHAiM has a lot of power reserve.
It can easily drive 8-ohm speakers, especially with a bit of negative feedback.

The SL is a bit more polite but refined, I would say.
It is my reference when I want to test a player, for example.
I am normally a FET man, but the SL really has something.

For me at least, the King is still the DAO.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...a-zgf-headphone-amplifier.225577/post-7325913
It is though a difficult and involved project. Only for capable DIYers.

Patrick

Last edited:
I am not happy with the wiring myself, but I am struggling as too short wires make it difficult to assemble disassemble in the early stages.
Also I see that your motherboard has lots of paths which make wiring easier or redundant.

I know DAO is the King, I studied it but I think it is too complicated for me. I feel intimidated by other builds too (shall I mention Stixx here?).

SLHPA was my first extensively SMD project. I have learned a lot especially after I followed your advice to get thin soldering wire and a sharp tip for the soldering iron.

Some people swear on bipolar amps. Some on FET.
You can make good amps with both.
I know a lot more about FETs, and you can make real simple ones.
See how complex the SL is compared to say a F5-HA.

But we shall hopefully soon publish a pocket size headphone amp which is only bipolar based.
That is made necessary by the low voltage, but it is in some ways simpler than the SL.

Patrick