Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Hey Audiophiles Need Some Advice !!!
Hey Audiophiles Need Some Advice !!!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2017, 11:16 AM   #1
batiepatterson is offline batiepatterson
diyAudio Member

Default Hey Audiophiles Need Some Advice !!!

Well forums you're going to learn something new about me, it's that I'm an audiophile. Yep that's my big secret.

But on a serious note, there is such a large market for guys like me who enjoy listening to music anywhere and everywhere. Because there's a time and place for every song that's ever been made. But the only problem is some headphones are gimmicks that are over priced and others are underpriced but lack everything.

So I just made this thread to ask you guys for your opinion on what I should personally get. I've had experience with Bose and Skull Candy. I'd prefer responses or links to highly customizable headphones that have excellent quality (Because I want my headphones to match my One Plus One) but all suggestions are welcome.

The only problem I see with Bose is that its an extra $50 for one button that has a mic on it but the quality is amazing.

The problems with skull candy is that its way more affordable but lacks overall quality.

EDIT: Normal Pricing Please. Nothing over $450 because that's just ridiculous and I'd personally never take it outside.
Old 16th August 2017, 02:25 PM   #2
BuckarooBanzai is offline BuckarooBanzai
diyAudio Member

Welcome, fellow audiophile

Oh man... Bose is a four-letter word around here. Seriously. Many people start their foray into good quality sound with Bose, due to the perceptions out there. But they quickly learn that you do not get anywhere near what you pay for with their products. Their headphones aren't as bad as their so-called "hi-fi" products, but you'll be better off with pretty much any respectable brand like Sennheiser, Grado or AKG.

If you want something customizable, take a look at the Fostex T50RP. These are a modder's delight. Their retail price is a very affordable $150 and they have huge potential. So much so that some companies offer pre-modified versions. Have a look here: A DIYers Delight: The Fostex T50RP Mk3 | InnerFidelity

Alternatively, the Fostex Massdrop TH-X00 are excellent value for money. Also have a look at the various HiFiMan headphones. Their planar magnetic tech is really something.

Last edited by BuckarooBanzai; 16th August 2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 16th August 2017, 07:19 PM   #3
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Not sure what you want to customize, but try these with the right amp (try a Class A) and proper EQ they sound like headphones 10 times the price:
Open-Back Studio Headphones by Status Audio
Amazon.com: Status Audio OB-1 Open Back Studio Monitor Headphones: Musical Instruments
Currently $59 on Amazon it is a give away.
Old 16th August 2017, 08:00 PM   #4
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Have you looked at InnerFidelity? Ty prefers too much high end roll-off for my tastes but knowing that makes it easy to adjust.
Right now I'm very impressed with slightly (and easily) modified HiFiMAN HE400i, currently on sale for $250 USD. A near cottage industry exists around modifying this family of headphones. Be aware they're completely open, require significant drive and gently slopes the top end down. On the plus side they're terrifically detailed, revealing and listenable.
Old 16th August 2017, 09:54 PM   #5
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Customisable like this...
http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-morphit/
Old 16th August 2017, 10:21 PM   #6
BuckarooBanzai is offline BuckarooBanzai
diyAudio Member

Ooooooh . Now that looks interesting. But what happens when I put it in Denon AHD7000 mode and listen with a pair of Denon AHD7000s? Denonception?!
Old 16th August 2017, 10:28 PM   #7
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I see Morphit is now available as an add-on for usb pro..will have to try it on my phone and phones as I use Usb Pro....

USB Audio Player PRO - Android Apps on Google Play
Old 17th August 2017, 09:08 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai View Post
Welcome, fellow audiophile

Oh man... Bose is a four-letter word around here. <snip>

I knew very little about sennheiser, before but know i feel like i got the alternative for the BOSE.

Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 09:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hey, Guys i forgot to mention that i do found some guides on in ear headphones. I feel like they are trusted ones too.

7 Best Earbuds [In Ear Headphones] In 2017 Under $100

and

Best Wireless Earbuds (Aug. 2017) - Reviews and Buyer's Guide

10beasts is a respectible site. Even m friends also recommend me this site. What do you say about these reviews ?
Old 17th August 2017, 10:21 AM   #10
lcsaszar is offline lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Earbuds? They fit smartphones/MP3 at most. Not for serious listening, IMHO.

Hey Audiophiles Need Some Advice !!!Hide this!Advertise here!