Multiple Cmoys with a single power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some simple headphone amps for use with my band's IEMs. We've tested a single cmoy and are happy with the results, so I'm going to go ahead and bundle four of them into a single chassis. To be clear, this is not a distribution amp! This is 4 different stereo mixes hitting 4 different headphone amps housed in the same chassis.

I'm planning on using an 18v PSU instead of batteries.

What I would like to know is, do I need 4 power supply circuits? I looked into it a little bit, and I see that there are some suggestions for making changes to the power supply when building a cmoy-style DA, specifically in the resistors used in the divider (seen here.) I understand a little why this was done, but there's a lot about this that I don't yet understand.

Would I be better off just building 4 complete cmoys? Is there any issue with supplying all four of them from the same 18v psu?

Am I on the complete wrong track here?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The CMOY is all low current and so running four off one PSU should not be an issue.

If you are using a virtual ground then just make sure the ground can source, sink any current that may be required from four stereo outputs at max level. An active virtual ground would be far more power efficient than a resistive one if battery life is an issue.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> This is 4 different stereo mixes hitting 4 different headphone amps housed in the same chassis.

So it is an 8-channel amplifier, even if connectors are grouped in 4 pairs.

The Cmoy is a 2-channel amp. That works. Why would an 8-channel amp be different?

Yes, be very generous on V-split current and bypass to avoid a potent sneak-path (worse if the 4 heads are listening to utterly different tracks).

The power supply must NOT connect to ground, or be shared with other stuff not working on the Cmoy's odd ground reference.

Are you sure your "Cmoy" will produce ample levels for studio? With any earbuds the drummer drags in? The original Cmoy was to drive ~~150r phones on the bus from WalkMan outputs that were marginal with 32r. Fashion has changed a LOT. Studio work has always been demanding. (Crown D-75 used to be a common studio headphone amp.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.