Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

List of best DIY Headphone Amplifiers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2017, 02:24 AM   #11
Hearinspace is offline Hearinspace  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarist View Post
Is there any schematic for it?
It was done by Frank Cooter. It's been a few years since he built that amp and if there were ever schematics posted they might be found with some net sleuthing.

Here's another page with pics of another one of his, showing a display card with a few details.

And here's a link to a thread on this forum started by regal with a post of an early design from Frank followed by a design from Rod Coleman and following details that might interest you.
Old 12th June 2017, 02:52 AM   #12
bloozestringer is offline bloozestringer  United States
diyAudio Member

Frank makes absolutely stunning gear. All of his amps are works of art.
Old 31st January 2018, 03:58 PM   #13
TypodCrow is offline TypodCrow
diyAudio Member

Hey just bumping this - can anyone recommend a relatively small reference grade amp to build? It would be sweet if I could get a Class A.

I'm currently running an Objective 2. It's pretty sweet, but I could appreciate some more power to give my Alpha Prime's their slamming bass.
Old 4th February 2018, 09:13 AM   #14
thuanth43 is offline thuanth43  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypodCrow View Post
Hey just bumping this - can anyone recommend a relatively small reference grade amp to build? It would be sweet if I could get a Class A.

I'm currently running an Objective 2. It's pretty sweet, but I could appreciate some more power to give my Alpha Prime's their slamming bass.
2 channel Beta22.
Old 4th February 2018, 09:21 AM   #15
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypodCrow View Post

I like this amp, Saphire 4, Saphire 3 is also very good.

Sapphire 4 headphone amplifier [Rev. 4.1m] - diyAudio

and also, cant decide if I prefer the Dynalo, another very good amp.

On my to do list is the Dynalo SS, (super symmetry) , its balanced so should handle tough loads.
Old 6th February 2018, 11:37 AM   #16
suzyj is offline suzyj  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've got a little 5W discrete amp over on the solid state forum that performs reasonably well with headphone type loads... Still a little work needed to get it to push an 8Ω load around cleanly though, but I'm working on that

Dunno what qualifies as good in the headphone amp world, but so far I've hit 1.7ppm (0.00017%) distortion (1KHz 10VRMS into 47Ω), 4.2nV/sqrtHz input referred noise, 20dB gain, DC-~1MHz frequency range, 80mA Iq from +/-18V supplies (works happily down to ~+/-12V). Reasonably clean square waves and good clipping behaviour. I'm hoping for single-digit-ppm THD at 10VRMS/10KHz, but am still working on building the gear needed to test that.

Oh, and jellybean parts make for a $12/channel BOM and a 77x36mm 2 layer PCB.

Design files are at Cascading diamond buffers - a cheap low THD 10W amp with TIP41C
Old 6th February 2018, 12:58 PM   #17
adydula is offline adydula  United States
diyAudio Member

I dont see any Bottlehead hedphone amps here?
They make the Crack, the Crack-a two and the Mainline.

I have the Crack with their speedball upgrade and am considering the mainline.

The crack, is OTL and with Beyer T1's its one of the nicest soundstage's I have heard with these high impedance cans. HIGHLY recommended.

Tom C, makes a DIY neurochrome HP1 that has the best staright line with gain measurements. You can buy a pcb or a complete semi-kit, u have to buy parts at Mouser etc..

Alex
Old 6th February 2018, 06:31 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula View Post
I dont see any Bottlehead hedphone amps here?
They make the Crack, the Crack-a two and the Mainline.

I have the Crack with their speedball upgrade and am considering the mainline.

The crack, is OTL and with Beyer T1's its one of the nicest soundstage's I have heard with these high impedance cans. HIGHLY recommended.

Tom C, makes a DIY neurochrome HP1 that has the best staright line with gain measurements. You can buy a pcb or a complete semi-kit, u have to buy parts at Mouser etc..

Alex
From my research the Bottlehead Crack's aren't reference grade - might be my latest question was surrounding reference grade amps. I think I'm going to be sticking to The Wire.

For DIY amps in general, I agree the Bottlehead Crack seems like a good build especially with the Speedball upgrade. I see myself building it in the mid-to-distant future.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:05 AM   #19
adydula is offline adydula  United States
diyAudio Member

From the Thread title: List of best DIY Headphone Amplifiers

I think the BH Crack is one of the best OTL DIY kit/amps out there for HD800 + T1's etc.
Reference grade? Whats that? One with the best specs or ???.

I just ordered a BH Mainline (on sale this week)...as their top of the line head amp. They have simple circuits that are world re-known...

Time to heat up the iron again!
Alex
Old 7th February 2018, 01:19 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula View Post
From the Thread title: List of best DIY Headphone Amplifiers

I think the BH Crack is one of the best OTL DIY kit/amps out there for HD800 + T1's etc.
Reference grade? Whats that? One with the best specs or ???.

I just ordered a BH Mainline (on sale this week)...as their top of the line head amp. They have simple circuits that are world re-known...

Time to heat up the iron again!
Alex
Agreed - I'm looking forward to building a Crack some time.

By reference grade, I mean with minimum (point-triple-zero) distortion & noise, and "perfect" (<+\- 0.1dB) freq response. Something that is amplifying the input signal without adding/subtracting any color, soundstage, etc. Imagine something you'd want to use in a studio, but DIY, and cheap, and not used in a studio

List of best DIY Headphone AmplifiersHide this!Advertise here!