Single ended discrete HP amp - question about earthing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2017, 07:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Single ended discrete HP amp - question about earthing

Hi, I built a single ended headphone amplifier some time ago. I also built a low noise discrete linear Power Supply for it... I'm using HiFiMan HE400s headphones and iFi iDSD nano as source. Music is streamed either from laptop or HTPC from a NAS with 2x4TB HDDs...

I am struggling to get to the bottom of an earthing issue and need some advice. I am an experienced electronics engineer but still I have run out of ideas on how to resolve this issue...

The PSU case is earthed, there is a IEC RFI filter input... Does it make sense to disconnect that earth and only earth the common 0V output of the headphone amplifier or leave that floating also?

Thanks in advence for any advise offered!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16406581_10207861567167173_4267927145793428581_n.jpg (71.8 KB, 148 views)
Old 11th May 2017, 07:30 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to diyAudio

You haven't actually said what the issue is... I take it that it is a hum or a buzz getting into the audio.

A stand alone headphone amp like you show should be silent when fed its correct working voltage and with nothing (or perhaps just shorting plugs) connected to the input.

That has to be the first check, as external grounding issues shouldn't figure in that scenario.
Old 11th May 2017, 08:09 AM   #3
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomskirurin View Post
........................The PSU case is earthed, there is a IEC RFI filter input... Does it make sense to disconnect that earth and only earth the common 0V output of the headphone amplifier or leave that floating also?

Thanks in advence for any advise offered!
If you have Mains power, then the Protective Earth (PE) wire MUST be directly and mechanically connected to the Enclosure/Chassis.
Old 11th May 2017, 08:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Is the headphone amplifier case referenced to signal return (0V)? It's hard to see in your photograph, the RCA sockets are insulated from the chassis, that could be the problem
Old 11th May 2017, 11:28 AM   #5
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Is the headphone amplifier case referenced to signal return (0V)? It's hard to see in your photograph, the RCA sockets are insulated from the chassis, that could be the problem
the amplifier will work without an enclosure. Thus it does not need to be connected to the enclosure.
The enclosure is there to attenuate interference and keep your fingers on the outside.
Old 11th May 2017, 11:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

We are yet to be told exactly what the problem is, I'd like him to try it anyway
Old 11th May 2017, 11:55 AM   #7
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I am struggling to get to the bottom of an earthing issue and need some advice. I am an experienced electronics engineer but still I have run out of ideas on how to resolve this issue...
I read it differently in that there was an operational issue affecting the correct working of the PSU and amp.

A little clarification is needed from the OP methinks
Old 11th May 2017, 06:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks all for your advice... To clarify...

The amp works just fine i.e. it is very fine sounding as you would expect from a SE amp

The earthing issue is one of hum, the mains lead does have an earth. Maybe I can try one that only has live & neutral? I must say I have tried a couple of approaches already... Connect the earth to numerous 0V points in the circuit, inputs / outputs etc.

Is there a methodology to getting to the cause as I say I am experienced as an electronics engineer - but I must have missed the lessons about correct grounding in an audio system
Old 11th May 2017, 08:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Any piece of mains powered equipment that you have built yourself must have it's chassis connected to mains protective earth (PE) see post #3. Have a look at this http://hifisonix.com/wordpress/wp-co...-Autosaved.pdf
Old 12th May 2017, 01:33 AM   #10
Calvin is online now Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

are the RCA connectors mounted insulated to the chassis, or do they happen to contact the chassis?
Where is the trafo positioned?
Are You sure that You got a hum loop through the wiring or could it be emi due to proximity of the trafo?
Is there another device with IEC inlet connected .... such like the HtPC?
Have You tested a 10R-50R resistor between PE and circuit 0V?

jauu
Calvin

Hide this!Advertise here!