Choosing solution, Audio transformer or op-amp booster circuit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey!

A couple days ago someone noted me that I can improve the bass response of my crappy internal capacitor-lacking phone DAC with an audio transformer. Is this possible at all?

If it is, are audio transformers 1:1 ratio transformers that just function as an inductive version of an optocoupler?

Or would I be better off buying some op-amp and a couple other parts and making a powered external device that will boost the bass response of my music after it's been made analog? I remember KipKay making such thing a long time ago..

If anyone has an idea of great tip of what I can try, feel free to leave me a note.

Cheers,
Anna

Joined 2009
Paid Member
A couple days ago someone noted me that I can improve the bass response of my crappy internal capacitor-lacking phone DAC with an audio transformer. Is this possible at all?

Sure, its possible - that was me I reckon who told you that :cool: Note that its not going to give any kind of boost in the frequency response (what tomchr talks about in his first para), rather it improves the subjective clarity of the bass, rather like adding more supply line caps to a chipamp's power supply.

If it is, are audio transformers 1:1 ratio transformers that just function as an inductive version of an optocoupler?

I don't reckon a 1:1 would improve your bass but I must admit I've never tried it. I've used 2:1 and 3:1 with good results though. Going beyond 3:1 and the maximum volume suffers too much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.