BF862 based SE Class A Headamp without the HEAT

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The SMT version is beyond the limits of my compromised manual dexterity alas. But if it means the difference between the GB going ahead or not, then I'll happily sign up

It looks like we have enough people now. As the layout artist it would be nice if you got to build one too. But I understand. Funny some people can do SMT but not through hole!

I will keep it open for a few more days to see if there might be more interest so we don't leave anyone out for the GB. Also, it is Lunar New Year in China and none of the Fab houses are droning anyway until after Feb 3.

Last edited:
Perhaps BDHM can give us a status on the through hole version?

What is the plan for cooling the MOSFET in the through-hole version? If the SPICE model is correct, you have around 600mW going through the ZVN, so you are looking at nearly 80C rise above ambient with the TO-92 part. That sort of heat through a tiny component makes me uncomfortable. There are TO-92 heatsinks, but are there any which are Altoids tin compatible?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
What is the plan for cooling the MOSFET in the through-hole version? If the SPICE model is correct, you have around 600mW going through the ZVN, so you are looking at nearly 80C rise above ambient with the TO-92 part. That sort of heat through a tiny component makes me uncomfortable. There are TO-92 heatsinks, but are there any which are Altoids tin compatible?

I think you can make your own from sheet aluminum heat shrinked to flat face then attach aluminum plate to radiate to lid.

diy_to92_heatsink_parts.jpg

But, why not use the SMT version - it's huge and easy to solder.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
BOM

Below items are all available from Mouser (circa $20)

Description Part No Qnty
n-channel power MOSFETs ZVN4306GTA 2
n junction JFET BF862 771-BF862-T/R 2
Panasonic OSCON 390uF 20v output caps 20SEPF390M 2
Output cap bypass WIMA 1uF MKS caps MKS2C041001F00KSSD 2
Input bypass Wima 2.2uF MKS caps MKS2B042201F00JSSD 2
Panasonic OSCON 100uF 25v rail caps 20SEP100MX 2
Switchcraft 3.5mm stereo jacks 35RAPC4BV4 2
Alps stereo pot with power switch RK0971221Z05 1

Plus you will need the following 0805 1% metal thin film SMT resistors (qnty):
33R(2), 47R(2), 270R(12), 1k(2), 15k(1), 47k(2), 100k(2), and qnty 4 x 100nF X7R 0812 MLCC bypass caps, and basic 3mm red or green LED.

It's SMT on one side and through hole on the other side. The SMT's are 0805 - easy to hand solder - don't worry about it. :)

So I'm a little confused by the statement above. I'm probably betraying my ignorance here, but I thought you meant that this one board could be used for BOTH the SMT or through-hole versions, depending on which side was used, lol.

Just to confirm, is this current group buy is for an all SMT board? To be honest, I really don't mind if this is the case, since I have zero experience with either of these soldering methods (I've only done point-to-point before) and you say that this size SMT is easy, so I'm still in either way.

Another bonus with SMT version is that the components will be on top of the board and visible when the tin is opened, right? I like the idea of being able to show off my handiwork, even if my soldering will look amateurish :p

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
SMT is on one side and through hole parts (WIMA bypass caps, main coupling caps, power rail caps, pot, 3.5mm jack, LED) are on the other side. When you open the tin, the SMT side is facing up and the through hole side is facing down (not visible). It's done this way to give best clearance for knobs and jacks so to not interfere with lid closing. Also, lets the hot SMT side breathe easier when opening lid. It will look sort of like my hand etched build. It also keeps the through hole parts away from the rather hot running Class A business side (the MOSFETs and the eight 270R resistors are dissipating about 2W total.) Overall, it's the best use of vertical space - sort of like a two story house vs a one story house.

Last edited: