Neurochrome HP-1: Ultra-High End Headphone Amp - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2017, 07:13 PM   #91
BrianL is offline BrianL  United States
diyAudio Member

One other tip for soldering passive SMT components -- resistors and capacitors. I put the component on the PCB where it should be. Then I put a tiny dab of solder on the tip of the iron and while using slight pressure to hold the component to the PCB with something pliable and small - such as a small plastic-tipped "ESD tweezer", I then touch the solder drop to the PCB pad and component. Usually that makes an OK solder joint to hold the component in place. Then, with both hands available, I use normal technique (solder in one hand and iron in the other) tosolder the other end of the component to its pad. Then I go back and redo the first joint to make it proper.

I also try not to get overly anal about not having the part exactly centered over its pads or having it slightly rotated, etc. One can do more harm, especially to ceramic capacitors, by heating-fudging-heating-fudging of the components. As you get more practice you'll be able to get things lined up more perfectly.
Old 1st February 2017, 01:51 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Plato make one of those angled tips for the Hakko FX-888D Soldering Station (HS-4791) and it's available from Mouser. They also do a 'well' tip for drag soldering (HS-0530)
Old 1st February 2017, 02:10 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhopeful View Post
Plato make one of those angled tips for the Hakko FX-888D Soldering Station (HS-4791) and it's available from Mouser. They also do a 'well' tip for drag soldering (HS-0530)
I'll probably order a HS-4791 when I order the BOM for the HP-1, however, the HS-0530 seems a bit wide. I have been practicing soldering 0805, 0603, SOT-23 SMD along with SO14 and LQFP44 ICs. I did all these with a 1mm wide tip and in some instances it seemed a little big. It worked well for the ICs. I suppose the benefit of the 3mm wide HS-0530 is that you just load it and it will hold enough solder to complete one side in a single drag. I have seen this done in YouTube videos.
Old 1st February 2017, 04:20 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

If I were to add this amplifier to an existing setup which had a DAC, CD player, tuner, etc. connected to a preamp, would I need to disconnect each of those components and move them across when I wanted to use my headphones?

Apologies if I've misunderstood.
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:48 AM   #95
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

The HP-1 has both XLR and RCA inputs. They're line level inputs so they should hook up directly to your preamp's outputs.

Tom
Old 18th March 2017, 07:39 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Folks,

I'm about to order another stack of enclosures and am considering a number of different colours. Before I blow $1k+ on enclosures, I figured I'd ask for your help in choosing the colour. I have narrowed the choices down to four colours: Gentian Blue, Carmine Red, Graphite, and Black. All have a slight texture to them. All will have white silk screen text and legend just as the current blue chassis.

I have a Google survey running and would greatly appreciate it if you'd let me know of your preference. I will post the survey results here. The survey is anonymous but does require sign-in to Google/Gmail to prevent multiple responses. There are two questions:
1) Favourite of the four colours.
2) Favourite between only Graphite and Black. ​
If you don't have a Google account and would like to cast your vote, please just toss me a PM with your preferences.
The survey is here: https://goo.gl/forms/LUEsX0WhPoKxJAww2

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PaintChips.jpg (143.8 KB, 197 views)
Old 18th March 2017, 10:25 PM   #97
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

I vote for Red. Where is the amp on the tour btw?
Old 18th March 2017, 10:26 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

The SBAF loaner is in the Bay Area as I recall. It should be heading to Illinois after that.

Tom
Old 20th March 2017, 10:33 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

Uuuuhhh, MeanWell switching supplies. I fear, they introduce noise, ground loops and other difficulties.
Old 21st March 2017, 05:32 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

I'm curious what you base that on. Here's a measurement on the residual noise and hum.
Click the image to open in full size.

The rest of the performance measurements are available here:
https://www.neurochrome.com/hp-1-ult...headphone-amp/

Surely if there was a problem with the power supplies, it would have shown in the measurements.

Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!