Noise cancelling earbuds for job

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

New to the forum but been reasearching a lot on audio for a long time.

Im a quality assurance tech in a manufacture plant. I work about 9 hours a day with isolating earbud headphones (claim to be 30db isolation). I need the earphones because i communicate constantly with coworkers on a c.b radio.

I have trouble hearing my coworkers around me (the ones speaking in front of me). Because of all the machines making noise. So i thought about buying a pair of active noise cancelling headphones to plug into the c.b radio (standard 3.5mm jack).

Will those headphones cancel out the people talking in front of me ? From what i read it will cancel out most noise from the machines. But i still need to hear my employees talking to me.

If so wich affordable headphones will do a good job. I dont necessarily need high sound quality from the headphones. Just to be clear enough to understand the c.b radio.

Thanks

Noise cancelling earbuds/ headphones will cancel out everything around you, including what your coworkers are saying. If you can set up a noise cancelling microphone that your coworkers can use to talk to you, that would be best. Mix the microphone and CB signals and feed that into your headphones.

That is utter nonsense! Have you ever had noise canceling headphones? It looks like you do not even understand the basic principle.
I understand it a lot better than you, apparently. Active noise cancelling headphones have tiny microphones built into the headpieces. These pick up the sound from the surroundings and send it to an amplifier which inverts it and mixes it with the signal being sent to the headphones.

Unless these microphones can distinguish between sounds from the co-workers and sounds from the machines, the sounds from the co-workers will also get cancelled.

Note that cancellation is not perfect; you'll still hear loud sounds, just less loud.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
"Noise canceling headphones work through a system that picks up the exterior sound and then adds the inverse to the audio, effectively (more or less) canceling or reducing the exterior sound. This type of sound cancelling works well on monotonous continuous sounds quite well, such as motor noise, air duct noise, etc. It does not work well on sounds that continuously change in frequency and amplitude, such as human voice (conversation) and even music (especially the more dynamic variety)."

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Noise cancelling headphones use microphones to listen to the incoming sound, then some fancy processing creates inverse waves which get fed back into the headphones. These inverse waves cancel out the ambient sound. One way to think about this is if the ambient noise (an airplane engine, say), is “+1” the headphones would create and add “-1” so your ear hears 0 (i.e. nothing). Of course, the reality isn’t quite so perfect. Noise cancelling works best with low droning sounds, like car engines, airplane engines, air conditioners, etc.
Midrange sounds, like voices, are largely unaffected (though they may sound odd as the low frequency parts of the voices are cancelled out). Perhaps most sadly, that bane of any long flight, baby cries, aren’t reduced by noise cancelling.

So if i understand correctly. They will work for reducing the sounds from the fans and compressors in the shop. And i will be able to hear my employes around me (weirdly but understandable). And i will also hear my coworkers on the c.b. radio.

So it will be better than my sound isolation earbuds i have now. Since it will not block out my employes talking in front of me.

Go to a showroom and try them out for yourself. Take a recording of your workplace sounds with you. My laptop came with noise cancelling earbuds - Sony and Sennheiser collaboration. All surrounding sounds are reduced, including people talking. Read the advertisements - one of the things they say these 'phones are good for is to cut down office noise and commuter chatter.

Some headphones come with a settings switch that lets you choose the kind of environment noise you want to eliminate. Perhaps one of those profiles will work for you.

Yeah. Ill try to find a place where they have it on display where i live. I see youre from mexico. Ive been there many time (non touristic areas such as guadalahara and d.f), and i know there are some giant stores where you can try a bunch of headphones. But in montreal i never found a place like that. Ill look for a place to try them out this weekend. It would make my job easier if i wouldnt have to keep on telling my employees to repeat what they said.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.