iPhone 7 is ditching the 3.5mm headphone jack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I assume, given the cost ($9), that analog audio out is coming via the lightning, and no chipsets are in the connector.
Does anyone know?

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_(connector)) the lightning connector is all-digital. If there's an analog audio signal coming out of the adaptor, then there has to be a DAC somewhere inside the adaptor to generate it.

Last edited:
There are other gadgets besides headphones that use(d) the 3.5mm jack, though. Credit card readers, for one.

I got a laugh at a reddit post wondering when Apple would announce the new iString restraint that would tie the wireless earplugs to the phone to keep them from getting lost down storm drains when they fall out of your ears (or the phone from hitting the ground when it falls while jogging).

There are other gadgets besides headphones that use(d) the 3.5mm jack, though. Credit card readers, for one.

I got a laugh at a reddit post wondering when Apple would announce the new iString restraint that would tie the wireless earplugs to the phone to keep them from getting lost down storm drains when they fall out of your ears (or the phone from hitting the ground when it falls while jogging).

Yeah true from a practicality standpoint the cable on the earphones is actually pretty convenient, ultimately the 3.5mm jack is universal, and apple have never launched an interface standard, they have only been leading in taking them away, so unless they open the lightning port to everybody (and they have never done that) it will be still born. I predict the jack will be back in a couple of years.

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_(connector)) the lightning connector is all-digital. If there's an analog audio signal coming out of the adaptor, then there has to be a DAC somewhere inside the adaptor to generate it.
They must have overloaded it.
Like, if ID{0,1} is at level X, then L{0,1}n/p is left/right analog.
The connector would simply set ID{0,1} to the proper level, and route L{0,1}n/p to the 3.5mm jack.
The connector pictures floating around, have it too small to contain DAC/amp, and the $9 price suggests that as well.
The lightning -> 30pin is $29, with a DAC (which requires not only the DAC IC, but a bunch of other accessory ICs), as reference.
Anyway, I am pretty sure someone will take it apart soon and will report :D

Last edited:
This will spoil even faster than the standard lightning cable.

Remember when chip industry was all about integration? Putting all things into one SOC? And I was so happy when some China companies decided they could put a good DAC and headphone amplifier into the phone too, because it is impractical to use an external amp.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
According to latest data published on the heise.de website, the Apple lightning to 3.5 jack adapter output impedence is 0.37 ohm and it does put out at least 0.43v over a 16 ohms load. This is enough power to drive a high efficiency speaker at background music level. I tried today with a vintage 5 ohm 8-inch fullrange and it works! I don't even need to raise the volume at max. The sound is pleasant, there is no distortion and the adapter does not overheat. I also tried with a standard bookshelf speaker, but the volume is too low and there are almost no low frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.