Op-amp for headphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My AD8397 project is alive for 2 years now and I don't have any problems with supply up to +/-13.5V. No overheating at all, cold chip. I'm using one channel per package, the other one is terminated.

Sorry about the delayed reply, I hadn't circled back to the thread until now. Interesting! Were you using the ARDZ version with the metal power pad or the ARZ without? I'm wondering if that makes a difference.

If I remember correctly I used version with exposed pad for better heat dissipation but I had other AD8397 projects using regular version (non exposed pad) and op-amp wasn't even warm on +/-13.3 to +/-12.6V rails (two 12v gel accu).

This is my current project, main boards are from 2015, zero problems. Main thing is to use high wattage output resistor and use only one op-amp for one channel, second channel should be terminated correctly, this helps keeping tmp low.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
I haven't written off the NJM4556A yet. I'll do proper listening tests with different material.

Yes, the OPA1688 goes to 70/300mV from the rails. The OPA1622 goes to +-900mV. That is a plus. It's relatively easy to bump up the supply rails. But the same rails that power the amp also power some LDOs with a maximum +6V in. That's why I'm at +-5.8V at the time.

Børge

Børge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.