[Headamp] upgrading a Lehmann BCL clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all,
I read this thread, it contains interesting insights on this circuit and several mods.
I bought a kit of this amp from aliexpress. PCB is of good quality so are the parts provided with the kit.
It works well, but a fact that I noticed is that channels are inverted. I respected the printed labels for R and L channels connections, they are the same I see in many photos of this 3D, but they result on inverted channels.
Could you please check your amps for this issue? Many thanks.

Misprints like that is common on boards nicpom. The silkscreen labelling is done later after circuits are laid out so its easy to overlook these things. Don't worry too much about it and flip it around on the board, they probably noticed it but decided to leave it like that since it doesn't affect performance.

I must disgree, a channel inversion does affect performance a lot, especially if it remains undetected. As these clone PCBs seem very similar, even the silkprint, I wonder how many users have the same problem, and did not noticed it. I would suggest a check of this to all owners of these clones.

I sincerely disagre with your choices...

NCC LZX are incredibly good and neutral sounding capacitors, Panasonic FR are, IMHO, worse here.

FRs are good caps but they sound somewhat 'bigger' than reality and reduces soundstage.

On the opamp, though, higher ESR audio caps give better results, I never tried Pureisms, I've used Silmics II black/gold 100uF 25V.

ERO KP1830 are really good caps but no better than FKP2, the only difference is that KP1830 are a tiny bit more neutral, in this case I would have kept the FKP2.

The polystyrene caps are a good choice but I prefer Amtrans AMCH.

There are two couples of them, I would keep the ones near the opamp, the opamp decoupling on the PCB is really poor (long traces).

Regarding the other two they're used as bypass for the input caps and they're not needed if you use better input caps or can be used to short input caps if you don't need DC blocking.

I don't use input caps at all here, the improvement is stunning.

Absolutely!

Mundorgf AGs are incredible.

BCs are incredibly good for the price but the Mundorf are on another league.

You can also improve the PS with two simple mods:

• Replace the LM317 voltage setting resistors with zeners (BZX85 13V)
  • Replace LM317 C ADj with 10uf 35V Silmics II Black Gold.

Also replace all signal resistors with Vishay/Dale RLR07 or PTF56.

I've also used some Vishay VSRJ bulk metal foils but PTF56 will be quite as good.

This modification solved the intermittent power supply noise issue, i think Lehmann Audio should use this simple mod, my clone is dead silent now

Attachments

• IMG_20190216_110626.jpg
    IMG_20190216_110626.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_20190216_110614.jpg
    IMG_20190216_110614.jpg
    687.6 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_20190216_110603.jpg
    IMG_20190216_110603.jpg
    702.9 KB · Views: 498
Hello!

I have a couple of yellow PCBs kits.
One populated with the parts included as complete kit and another one that I bought bare and have populated myself with upgraded parts from Mouser.

Both sound good but I am inclined to believe that the upgraded 'Mouser board' sounds better.

I have also another PCB (either blue or green-can't remember) coming, so when it comes I will look for any differences.

The yellow PCB is a 'ZeroZone LEM-Copy' and I think it is pretty well made since it has tolerated well with all the soldering/desoldering that took place...

------------

And something for the gurus:

I get a DC offset of around -15mV on the right channel and around -5mV on the left.

This has been pretty constant with several opamps used (OPA2134, LM4562, OPA2227, NE5534, MUSES 8820). The only opamp that resulted in a lower DC offset was the NJM2068. It achieved -11mV right, -1 mV left. Actually, this opamp has been a pleasant surprise regarding its overall performace/price ratio.

Anyway, I 've ordered a couple of 200Ohm trimmer pots for each channel that will go in place of the two 1.1kOhm resistors next to the 100Ohms ones on the board. I'll use them in series with a 1kOhm resistors to adjust the Voltage regulators, in hope of lowering the DC offset.

Is this a valid approach?

Do not worry. Ask what you want. :)

Yes, this mod. will help you reduce the offset. It is not the only way but it is one of the simplest and most effective.

okjlSmjh.jpg

Very interesting!

So the original idea with those Zeners was to lower DC offset?
I completely missed that.

Can you recommend particular Zeners for this application?
I'm ready to fill a Mouser order as we speak.

Also, would it be mandatory to use two of them in parallel as it's shown on your photo?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.