Upgrading the Aune X1 SE/Pro HeadAmp/DAC/Pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear members,

This will be my first post. I have been reading on this forum and some other forums about DIY audio and just recently I did my first audio mod on the Aune T1 Tube DAC. I replaced some capacitors with higher grade ones and it was a great succes in terms op sound quality (although I did fry the built in Headamp with soldering, but luckily I didnt use it anyway. I was hoping it improved a bit).

Currently I am using my Aune T1 DAC (with Elna Silmic II caps and Amperex 7308 tube) connected to my Aune X1 SE/Pro headphone amp/pre-amp to drive my Beyerdynamic DT1770 and QMS Q5 monitor speakers.

The Aune T1 is a really sweet sounding device but has no pre-amp and the headphone amp was not sufficient enough. So I bought the Aune X1 SE/Pro for its headphone- and pre-amp capabilities. The headphone amp is powerfull enough to drive the DT1770 nicely and the Pre-amp is feeding my active monitors fine. I love the Aune T1 DAC tube sound and with the new capacitors is sounding really clean, but I can't shake the feeling that the Aune X1 is adding some noise in the final output. Don't get me wrong, for this price the X1 is doing a more than fine job being so multi purpose and decent quality.

I like its design and functions and I think in base it's a fine product. I'm just looking to improve it like I did with the Aune T1 which really shines after the mod. I am trying to figure what all the components are on the board by using logic and a lot of google, since i have never been interested or schooled in these kind of things. My knowledge about electric circuitry doesn't go any further than the science lessons I had in High School, and that was a looong time ago. But I am willing to learn! And this forums seems like a good starting point. I'm quite good with mechanics, computer hard and soft-ware and all kinds of technical stuff so I think it is time to jump into the audio electronica and teach myself some basic stuff.

I am open to links and websites where I can have a good beginners read about where to start with DIY audio.

My second project will be the Aune X1. I cannot find a schematic for the device yet, but maybe other were more lucky. (I don't know how to read on yet anyway. Got to look up all the symbols again.)

Like I said before I use this device as a pre-amp and headphone amp, since I think the Aune T1 does a better job at the DAC part. I am mostly interested in improving the sound quality of the Headphone amp section and the pre-amp section.

This is the device PCB with the components.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

By following the PCB lines I tried to figure out which section was doing what. But I'm not there yet.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

After the modification I did on the Aune T1 I got quite fond of the Silmic II caps. I could of course replace most of the caps by Silmic II caps in the audio section, but I've read that the Nichicon FW themselves are not so bad either, so I wouldnt know if this would be an interesting upgrade. The big Nichicon FW in the power circuit is probably decent enough to not replace it by something else.

Also I see these black things with holes in them on the Headphone amp. By googling the serie numbers I didnt got any wiser. Except for the one next to the RCA jacks. This one is some kind of chip amplifier? Probably used for the pre-amp section?

Like I said before I'm a total noob at this. I am using my common sense to decipher this thing. I think the PCB is nice and clean and I think this could be a really interesting project to start with before I go up to some more interesting stuff to start understanding the basics.

Any help on this? Any guidance and explaination is welcome. I'm in 'sponge mode'.

Thnx

Beyerdyamic DT-1770 Pro wiring

Hello, I was hoping you might be able to confirm the wiring information I have for the DT-1770. With TRS plug, T=L+, R=R+, S=Ground, to 3-pin mini XLR jack Pin 1=Ground, Pin2= R+, and Pin 3=L+. I really appreciate your help. I've contacted Beyerdynamic and strangely enough they could not answer this question. I'm pretty sure this is correct but why guess? I'm assuming, I hope correctly, that you have a volt/ohm meter judging by your upgrade to Aune unit. Thanks in advance for your help. Best Regards, Ted Paisley

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.