what is standart smartphone headphone audio output power (mW) at 32 ohms?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can do some elementary mathematics and answer your own question.

The short answer is that 270 mW into virtually any headphone, especially popular modern headphones designed to work with portable devices, is a whole lot of power. You will never, ever drive modern headphones (except maybe exotics like Hifiman) with anywhere near 270 mW while wearing them unless you are deaf. If you aren't deaf before doing this stunt, you most certainly will be after.

Look at your headphones specifications. See the efficiency spec? With that spec, tell me how loud your headphones would be if driven with 270 mW. SPL increases 3 dB with every doubling of power. Now get out your slide rule and answer your own question.

My Sansa Clip+ MP3 outputs about 15mW and its plenty.

With 100 dB/mW efficiency (a typical specification for modern headphones designed to work with portable devices) this works out to 126 spl max, both channels driven, theoretically. Reality might be around 120 dB or so; in other words, as loud or louder than a Who concert.

It's easy to see that you don't need a lot of power to drive most headphones. Headphones today are different than the headphones of yesteryear; modern phones are low impedance to work from battery powered sources, and "vintage" headphones are typically 600 ohms and require more voltage (but not necessarily more power).

I make that out to be roughly 112dB. (100+10*lg15)

My maths might be off, but intuitively it seems to make sense, as you'd need 1mW to get 100dB, 10mW to get 110dB, 100mW to get 120dB etc.

You're right. I calculated for voltage gain. 100+20(log15)

Still my point stands. 112 dB is mighty loud, and 120 dB is as loud as you should ever be exposed to for very brief periods. A system capable of 112 dB SPL is loud enough.

You can do some elementary mathematics and answer your own question.

The short answer is that 270 mW into virtually any headphone, especially popular modern headphones designed to work with portable devices, is a whole lot of power. You will never, ever drive modern headphones (except maybe exotics like Hifiman) with anywhere near 270 mW while wearing them unless you are deaf. If you aren't deaf before doing this stunt, you most certainly will be after.

Look at your headphones specifications. See the efficiency spec? With that spec, tell me how loud your headphones would be if driven with 270 mW. SPL increases 3 dB with every doubling of power. Now get out your slide rule and answer your own question.
270mW at 32ohms and 450mW at 16 :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.