This is what happens... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2015, 01:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default This is what happens...

...when a traditional high end audio cable maker thinks they can cynically make a quick buck in the aftermarket headphone cable market.

This is MIT's new Vero headphone cable, terminated for "balanced," using a single 4 pin XLR. Bruce obviously had no clue as to how "balanced" headphone amps work and why you CANNOT tie pins 2 and 4 together.

I hope the people who have received the cables have amps with some robust output protection. It's going on three days now and in spite of a promised "complete technical explanation," no one has heard a peep out of Bruce. He's probably busy running to the store buying more Depends, because he has got to be absolutely crapping his pants over this little revelation of his own stupidity and incompetence.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/v...able#/comments

Here's a photo collage with annotations by a friend of mine who had just received his cable from the Indiegogo campaign, which managed to raise over $80,000.

As you can see from the circuit board layout, the left and right grounds are commoned at the input end. Indeed, the cable is just a mediocre shielded twisted pair.

Enjoy.

Click the image to open in full size.

se

Last edited by Steve Eddy; 16th October 2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 16th October 2015, 01:36 PM   #2
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Very impressive....

/U.
Old 16th October 2015, 01:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Is that a large glob of silicon sealant in the connector?
Old 16th October 2015, 02:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Is that a large glob of silicon sealant in the connector?
No. It's silicone.

se
Old 16th October 2015, 02:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Is heatshrink considered last century?

Ok I will admit that I have used the hotmelt glue fun to fix phone chargers where the cable frayed as it entered the (sealed) wall wart, but not convinced I want to see liberal application of glorp on something I paid $600 for. At least pot it in beeswax!
Old 16th October 2015, 02:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post

Is heatshrink considered last century?

Ok I will admit that I have used the hotmelt glue fun to fix phone chargers where the cable frayed as it entered the (sealed) wall wart, but not convinced I want to see liberal application of glorp on something I paid $600 for. At least pot it in beeswax!
Hehehe.

Yeah, I don't know what's with all the spooge. Neutrik XLRs have an excellent collet/chuck strain relief system.

se
Old 16th October 2015, 03:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

This is ridiculous. Do they really think they weren't going to get outed?

On the same token though, visit a "hi-fi" shop in your area (not Best Buy) if you have one, and count how many lies and general smoke up your bum the salesman tells. Keep a pokerface and play rich and stupid. Hi-fi marketing has unfortunately always been the domain of snake oil and bovine feces. Nobody's going to double check their outrageous claims, right?
Old 16th October 2015, 03:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I could forgive incompetence, but that has to be deliberate. I hope indiegogo pull the plug on that one and force them to refund everybody.
Old 16th October 2015, 03:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Indiegogo don't care. They have their cut and are waving the 'caveat emptor' card. They are kickstarter without the checks and balances and morality. (oxymoron there I know)
Old 16th October 2015, 04:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie D View Post
This is ridiculous. Do they really think they weren't going to get outed?

On the same token though, visit a "hi-fi" shop in your area (not Best Buy) if you have one, and count how many lies and general smoke up your bum the salesman tells. Keep a pokerface and play rich and stupid. Hi-fi marketing has unfortunately always been the domain of snake oil and bovine feces. Nobody's going to double check their outrageous claims, right?
Bruce has been getting away with that for decades.

se

Hide this!Advertise here!