How to add Headphone amplifier to Silicon Chip 2009 DAC? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 4th September 2015, 11:04 PM   #1
sqftw is offline sqftw  Australia
diyAudio Member
Default How to add Headphone amplifier to Silicon Chip 2009 DAC?

Hello Diyers!

I recently baught a 2009 Silicon Chip DAC kit from Altronics here in Aus. This one:

I would like to pair this up with one of their Class A or Class AB amp kits at a later stage. Neither of their amp kits has headphone out, so I was thinking the best place to do this would be on the DAC.

Basically i want to somehow combine a headphone amplifier with the DAC, like this one:

There is plenty of space inside the DAC kit. Im thinking I would have to add a volume control, tap into the output signal of the DAC, and make some sort of output selector? Maybe I can use the same power supply and board to power the headphones?

Or is there some way to convert the output of the dac or amplifiers to power headphones?

Although I have a technical background, my electronics understanding is fairly beginner.

Any ideas on how I can plug headphones into my DAC? I would prefer to use parts from Silicon Chip Magazine kits that are available from Jaycar or Altronics. Thanks in advance for suggestions!
Old 5th September 2015, 07:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
Go to Rock Grotto Headphone forum. Scroll down to the DIY section, then to the SCHA.
This is the S.C. amplifier but with many improvements in the sound quality.

Web address:
Old 6th September 2015, 02:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for letting me know about that site. It has good info on mods to the headphone amp.

It appears the headphone amplifier kit has the same power input requirements as the DAC kit so I am guessing I can power the headphone amp with the same transformer and power board? Or will i draw too much current if I put them in series?

Then it is just a matter of getting the audio output of the DAC board and running it to a volume knob and then to the headphone amp board?
Old 6th September 2015, 10:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
Just an update I received a reply on another forum from SandyK who has mentioned that the power supply and power board are not suitable to power both the headphone amp and the DAC so I am going to build the headphone amp in a separate kit/enclosure. Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!