my great sounding tube hpa

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The best sounding HPA I ever made was using a 6EM7. First stage 10k anode load, cathode 300R unbypassed. 470N polyproplene coupling cap. The large triode CF has 140V on the cathode with a Vcc of 280V. Quiescent through the CF is 50mA. Output coupling is two 47u/160V in parallel.
I used Broskie's TUBECAD to optimise the design. An absolute must have program.
The great sound and very coherent imaging was mainly due to a star grounding scheme, also I put DC on the heater.
Does anyone know the Russian equivalent of the 6EM7 ? It is a great tube and probably underutilised in audio applications.

The only "near identical" replacement that I know about for the 6EM7 is a 6GF7. The 6GF7 is a "Novar” style so it has a different base and therefore a different socket is required. The 6GF7 has an extra watt of plate dissipation on the large triode which may or may not be useful.

The best sounding HPA I ever made was using a 6EM7. First stage 10k anode load, cathode 300R unbypassed. 470N polyproplene coupling cap. The large triode CF has 140V on the cathode with a Vcc of 280V. Quiescent through the CF is 50mA. Output coupling is two 47u/160V in parallel.
I used Broskie's TUBECAD to optimise the design. An absolute must have program.
The great sound and very coherent imaging was mainly due to a star grounding scheme, also I put DC on the heater.
Does anyone know the Russian equivalent of the 6EM7 ? It is a great tube and probably underutilised in audio applications.

Looking at Broskie's site and reading the his comment that program can only
"RUN UNDER VISTA OR WINDOWS 8 or any other 64-bit OS."
Most people have as O.S. Windows 7 or Windows 10 64 bit, not to mention people
who's O.S. is some Linux distribution. So that program is rather obsolete is my humble opinion.
Perhaps one can run it using Oracle virtual box or similar software?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Note that the post you are responding to is from 2 years ago.

> program can only "RUN UNDER VISTA OR WINDOWS 8 or any other 64-bit OS."

You forgot the NOT.

"PROGRAM WILL NOT RUN UNDER VISTA OR WINDOWS 8 or any other 64-bit OS."
Additional Software from GlassWare

> that program is rather obsolete is my humble opinion.

It is extremely old. Broskie says he would like to update it, but life has got in his way.

OTOH, many of us keep an old XP machine around for minor off-line chores like this.

I currently have a VM machine installed in Win7-64 to run old code under XP-32.

And I do not recall TubeCAD doing much which could not be done by hand.

Note that the post you are responding to is from 2 years ago.

> program can only "RUN UNDER VISTA OR WINDOWS 8 or any other 64-bit OS."

You forgot the NOT.

"PROGRAM WILL NOT RUN UNDER VISTA OR WINDOWS 8 or any other 64-bit OS."
Additional Software from GlassWare

> that program is rather obsolete is my humble opinion.

It is extremely old. Broskie says he would like to update it, but life has got in his way.

OTOH, many of us keep an old XP machine around for minor off-line chores like this.

I currently have a VM machine installed in Win7-64 to run old code under XP-32.

And I do not recall TubeCAD doing much which could not be done by hand.

"Note that the post you are responding to is from 2 years ago"

Well, because Natural Sound responded not so long ago, I thought I will give it a go ........

"And I do not recall TubeCAD doing much which could not be done by hand. "

I think you are right, but you will get your results faster when adjusting components to tune your design is MHO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.