Sennheiser headband repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The headband of my Sennheiser MM 500-X headphones broke recently (because of course an expensive pair of headphones is made of cheap plastic), and thought it might be useful for other people to see how I fixed them.

The first of the attached photos shows the break, right in the middle. There are three pieces to the headband - one on top that spans the full length, and two peices that cover only half the length underneath. Because those two peices are joined in the middle, stress is concentrated on the upper piece.

The second photo shows the strip of aluminium I cut and bent to support the headband. A bit of spring steel would have been better (and is what the headband should have been made of in the first place), but I didn't have any spare, and aluminium is much easier to cut anyway.

I used some duct tape to attach it to the broken headband, then covered it with a couple of scraps of bicycle handlebar tape to replace the original padding that I had to cut off to make the repair.

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 385
Sennheiser MM 500-X repair.

Hi,
I also have the broken headphone problem. If you could possibly answer a question or two that would be very helpful before I start with mine. The outside cover, you were forced to cut it away? Are their wires running across the top? (Can not see in picture) if I were to locate a used pair, could the repair be made with those parts to look totally as if nothing was ever broken?
Thanks, Mikeynutron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.