Cavalli's EHHA r1 kit question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2015, 01:21 AM   #1
Tolik is offline Tolik  Israel
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Tolik
Default Cavalli's EHHA r1 kit question

Hello
There is kit to build EHHA rev A amp from Glass Jar Audio.
Anybody with experience with that kit, can to tell me if transformators supplied with kit are good for 230-240V 50Hz mines ?
I`m going to use that amp with LCD-3. To my eyes EHHA should be OK with these phones. Any thoughts or suggestions about good amp for LCD-3 are welcome.
Old 13th June 2015, 03:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't think it has the required 'drive' to successfully match up with the LCD-3s - I tried to run my AKG k701s with it and is seemed to just run out of 'push' but those headphones do like a high current output stage, so maybe this experience isn't applicable to your situation

I used a much bigger R-Core transformer for this EHHA amp, 80 VA from China with a dc trap and primary voltage 'dropping resistor' - it worked extremely well, and matched up well with the Senn650s and the 800s and surprisingly, the Beyers too.

I'd suggest you look towards the F5 headamp to fully match up with the planar headphones - this is an active project and perhaps ask your question there as I think a couple of the contributors are using similar 'phones

I tried just plugging a couple of this type of 'phones straight into the juma version of the F5 and it worked very well indeed - used a valve buffer in front to add that characteristic, as I like this type of 'coloured' sound.
Old 13th June 2015, 03:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Cavalli's EHHA r1 kit question

Hi James, are you about F5 Pass ? There is strange that Ehha was difficult to power akg... Are you sure that there was not a gain matching issue ?

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
Old 13th June 2015, 04:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes, the F5 juma version - IMO, the best sounding one - using triple 2013/313s and less f/back - specific resistors, power supply - a rather good amp but not cheap anymore.

Not sure why the EHHa didn't/wouldn't drive the k701s well - it's not a power problem but it just lost clarity and bass when pushing the higher volumes and transients - increased the bias but didn't fix problem, changed the gain, etc but couldn't fix it, so just figured it was a problem outside my ability and went back to my DAO high current buffer - I use the k701s for a reference for my main system, but with bass extension - I'm not the smartest with electronics so this might be not at all connected to matching up the EHHA with your LCD-3s

The Beyers were quite a bit muffled, a bit thick in the bass/mids sound, even when rewired with the silver/copper lirz wire, unlike with the Bijou amp that's 'more musical' to me.
Old 13th June 2015, 09:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I found this one F5 power amplifier
and kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-DELUXE-F...item27e4f01296
Is that you mentioned ?
Others thoughts are still welcome.
Old 13th June 2015, 04:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

or it is probably this one F5 with BJT at input
Click the image to open in full size.
if such, there is a another question. I tried to simulate that amp, and found that output is not to symmetrical. If I setting input signal to 1V, output is from -1.27 to 1.1V
Old 14th June 2015, 06:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

No, not that one

The one I was thinking about is known as "F5 Headamp ?" on diyAudio - a guy called Sika is developing a pcb for it now - Patrick's design

I'm not sure if the Marsh headamp will be 'heavy duty' enough to drive your planar phones - there's a pretty complete thread on this one too

There's quite a few headamps devoted to low impedance loads and some of these could be up to the job - there's a couple of 'mini Aleph' type classA amps that will deliver a couple of watts.

Most of the readymade/kits from sites like "jim's Audio" are pretty much 'guesswork' projects - some work out quite well but others are mostly a waste of money, effort, etc - a bit of a lottery.

I did hear those phones with the top Cavalli headamp and it was pretty darn good, in anyone description, but the amps are over A$6k out here - curiously, I thought those also crazy priced JPL headphones were so colourless that they sounded dull at first - it seems to take a few minutes for the ears to adjust and appreciated the lack of any colouration - ugly heavy things, but I could live with them!

Personally, I think that if you're going to build your own amp for these phones, you could raise your sights a bit and aim for a better quality amp than the EHHA, with dedicated supply, etc

All the best ...
Old 14th June 2015, 09:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Found it F5 Headamp ?
Thank you.
Old 14th June 2015, 02:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The Marsh Headphone amp is the best amp I ever built, bought, borrowed, tube or SS, that drove my Audeze LCD-3F. It's simple elegant design and topology is deceiving.

Build it and hear for yourself.

Last edited by steve jones; 14th June 2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 14th June 2015, 04:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Steve. Have you a link to schematic ?

Hide this!Advertise here!