Headphones on TA2024 Single powered D Class amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2015, 12:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Headphones on TA2024 Single powered D Class amp

Hello everybody,
as I'm using the TA2024 Class D Boards for my "Old Receiver Pimping" I try to find a good solution to connect also Headphones. The main problem is, that Headphones using same ground for both channels. Most - outputs of the smaller D Amps with single power cannot just put together. So my solution is to put capacitors (e.g. 470uf) between the + outputs of the amp to the Headphone plug and let - to the ground. This works quite good but in my case but with the TA2024 you will hear always white? noise through the headphone, even the input of the amp hangs to ground. I used a couple of different Headphones e.g. AKG K141 or K240 or cheaper ones. Even with connected speakers and Headphone you can hear the noise.

I also tried small 1:1 audio output transformers (250 ohm on each side) with a good result (the noise is gone) but the sound quality is not really good. (For the price of a good transformer you can easily put another headphone amp in). Any ideas what I can do to eliminate the noise carpet? It may have to do with the impedance of the Headphones vs Speakers, of course.

Cheers,
Oliver
Old 5th May 2015, 05:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelegraphHill View Post
It may have to do with the impedance of the Headphones vs Speakers, of course.

Cheers,
Oliver
It has to do with efficiency. Speakers are typically 90 dB/watt (give or take a lot) and headphone efficiency is typically expressed in dB/ mW. A typical specification might be 100 dB/mW for low impedance headphones designed to work with portable equipment (like an Ipod).

There are many headphone amp circuits available that are both simple and compact. A buffered op amp will work great.

You could connect the headphone ground wire to ground and feed the other two leads from one phase of the amplifier output (same phase both channels), coupled with capacitors. You could reduce noise with series resistors, which might also alter the frequency response of the phones (for better or for worse). This is all less than ideal, but it is passive.

Using your digital bridge amp as a headphone amp is less than ideal, to say the least. There are so many circuits detailed here for headphone amplifier use. There are a few circuits detailed at Elliot Sound Products, and at least one of them has a board available.

Hide this!Advertise here!