My O2 & Subbu DAC build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2015, 03:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My O2 & Subbu DAC build

Greetings!

I thought I would share my latest completed project. I put the O2 headphone amp and the Subbu DAC V3.0 "Subbu DAC V3 - ES9023/WM8804 SPDIF & Power Supply PCB" Group Buy together in the same case. Here are some fun features:
  • It can select from analog or digital input via a selector switch on the front panel. This is a 4-pole double throw switch which switches between RCA jacks on the back panel and the analog output of the DAC.
  • It can select line-level or headphone output via another 4-pole, double throw switch, also on the front panel. This switch simply takes the signal from the input switch and sends it to either an other set of RCA jacks or to the O2 headphone amplifier.
  • It has a Twisted Pear TOSLINK module for optical input.TOSLINK Optical Input Module
  • Note that everything on the front panel of the O2 has been replaced with its panel-mount equivalent, and moved to the front panel of my enclosure. This creates quite a tangle of wires crammed into a small space. Hooking everything up was more work than was building either the DAC or the O2. The last image is a PowerPoint file I made to help myself get all the connections right.
  • I'm using a transformer built into the case for the O2 power supply.
  • Also note the inconvenient use of two separate volume control knobs - one for the headphone out and one for the line-level out. I wasn't able to find a good way to attenuate both of these signals with one dial.
  • front panel is from Front Panel Express http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwsOKpBRCDtfOnzaDg3HsSJAAJ2ojiiZynM--HWgNl2n_2wUc0biIqDAUHEOkZSjXbaDocVhoCdnXw_wcB
I'm very happy with the sound! Thank you, NwAvGuy for creating this project. Anyone feel free to post questions or comments.

-Byron in Portland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front photo.jpg (176.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg top photo 1.jpg (292.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg inside photo.jpg (297.3 KB, 86 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Headphone amp & DAC connections.pdf (181.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by ByronInPortland; 24th April 2015 at 03:16 AM. Reason: forgot to add something.

Hide this!Advertise here!