Headphones invention challenge with Harman Audio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2015, 08:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Headphones invention challenge with Harman Audio

The company I work for is holding an invention challenge with Harman to generate ideas for the headphones of tomorrow. I felt that it was really appropriate to post here.

Anyone can participate—experts, audiophiles, music lovers, tech geeks, etc. If you think you have what it takes, you can submit your idea here: https://www.quirky.com/harman/the-he...es-of-tomorrow If Harman ends up selling the product you came up with, you'll get a percentage of all revenue.
Old 15th April 2015, 03:08 AM   #2
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

A headphone with balanced wires to connect directly to differential output opamps, and not some stupid wires like sennheiser where the ground is in one rubber and the left right channels run side by side with a blue coating on the wires for super cheap.
Old 15th April 2015, 09:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabdx View Post
A headphone with balanced wires to connect directly to differential output opamps, and not some stupid wires like sennheiser where the ground is in one rubber and the left right channels run side by side with a blue coating on the wires for super cheap.
You do realize that output impedance of headphone amplifiers is typically low to very low and thus capacitive crosstalk basically a non-issue? Headphone cables need to be light and flexible as well; on the electrical side they merely have to be good enough.

Too many manufacturers skimp on separate ground return leads for the L and R channels though, which is problematic down in the 16-32 Ohm area (since cables tend to contribute about an ohm), potentially giving significant crosstalk or rather stereo widening, as L+R is attenuated relative to L-R. (And I mean significant as in -30 dB or worse.) AFAIK, Sennheiser has an above average track record in this area.
Old 15th April 2015, 03:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ah, I didn't knew the separate ground wasn't needed for over 32 ohms.

I was just surprising that sennheiser didn't used two separate ground wires up to the connector. There is no cross talk however.
Old 15th April 2015, 05:28 PM   #5
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

TRS typically have "point contact" geometry and 10-100 milliOhms contact R so there is always crosstalk through the common gnd "S" contact resistance

if you really cared you should demand 4 pins and multipoint contact geometry - the temporary shorting of many TRS on plug/unplugging is a missfeature too

in the audiophile headphone world 4 pin connections are found in "balanced cable" but there is not a small, good standard for the connector

the really particular could want Kelvin sensing to get around contact resistance altogether
Old 15th April 2015, 06:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I am driving my sennheisers with my own wires of 18 gauge in balanced mode. The stock headphones wires are really affecting the sound in a detrimental way, the difference is night and day, feels like I have 2500$ headphones now.

Jcx, I understand that, but my experience is that sending 100% signal max volume in one channel didn't create any sound in the other. Interesting to learn the resistance is different from R-Gnd L-Gnd.
Old 15th April 2015, 06:30 PM   #7
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

even 1/8" TRS shared ground contact resistance crosstalk is often below the 'round your head leakage with open cans, 300 Ohm Z load also reduces crosstalk

so yes crosstalk is rarely a audible problem

but as a spec # TRS shared ground contact R is a limitation that is unnecessary

better pin/socket multipoint contact could be expected to be less mechanically microphonic too
Old 18th April 2015, 10:13 PM   #8
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Headphones with a built-in dock for a Bluetooth module, flash memory player, radio, amplifier, or regular headphone cable, as needed.
Old 21st April 2015, 02:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default If you find my idea useful, please vote for it with a thumb up

https://www.quirky.com/invent/164799...categories=all

Hide this!Advertise here!