Shorted Channels w/o apparent effect on SQ - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 11th February 2015, 03:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Default Shorted Channels w/o apparent effect on SQ

Hi All,

I had recabled a pair of Sony SA5000 long time ago and today i got a chance to check on my solder work. Upon opening the cups i've noticed that alothough these are dual-entried, the channels are in fact reveresed- like one is out of phase with onother:
Click the image to open in full size.

Upon closer look i've confirmed a reddish marking around the solder pad of the ssignal wire (blue) on RCH but at LCH it's kinda worn and i can't confirm 100% on which side of the glued patch is at. I did find the service manual where even though the LCH configuration is mismatched with mine it is noted that actual location may differ from the iluustration, which is rather an awkward job on the part of Sony's team IMHO.

Service manual:

Reason why i blurted the above prologue is that when i checked the plug for continuity i've noticed that the channels+ground are all shorted. So i unsoldered all the wires on both sides to check the plug (standard Neutrik NP2X) and the cable (Canrare star-quad) and they're fine but the PCB network in the headphones actually is... Thing is, they sound absolutely fine to my ears, No problemes with soundstage and imaging (laser-grade as i remeber), nor bass output (ninja-tight) or any other obvious nasty something.

So what does it mean when the headphones are shorted but otherwise sound AOK?

NM- problem solved.

Last edited by Amarphael; 16th February 2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11th February 2015, 04:09 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member
If headphones are wired in antiphase then this won't affect bass output, unlike loudspeakers, as they feed into two separate acoustic spaces. I would expect some effect on stereo imaging, especially at low frequencies. However, this may only be noticeable on music recorded as genuine stereo in an acoustic space, not mere pan-potted studio stuff.
Old 12th February 2015, 08:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
Out-of-phase channels tend to sound very weird, especially on mono / center-panned stuff. Should be easy to confirm.
Old 12th February 2015, 08:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
I have tested stereo rendering capability with several orchestral tracks and it is absolutely stellar, at least on par with my Beyerdynamic T90. Bass is also really clean and precise, So i'm quite sure that they're phased correctly, even with the channels being shorted. But yeah it's very reasonable to expect some sort of consequence out of this... but i don't detect any.

Can this be technically plausible? Is there something to be done about the PCB network being shorted? I
Old 14th February 2015, 06:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
Is there something to be done about the PCB network being shorted?
I don't notice any unnecessary bridges between solder pads that aren't supposed to be there btw.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Amarphael; 14th February 2015 at 06:25 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!