Shorted Channels w/o apparent effect on SQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I had recabled a pair of Sony SA5000 long time ago and today i got a chance to check on my solder work. Upon opening the cups i've noticed that alothough these are dual-entried, the channels are in fact reveresed- like one is out of phase with onother:
L CH
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

R CH
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Upon closer look i've confirmed a reddish marking around the solder pad of the ssignal wire (blue) on RCH but at LCH it's kinda worn and i can't confirm 100% on which side of the glued patch is at. I did find the service manual where even though the LCH configuration is mismatched with mine it is noted that actual location may differ from the iluustration, which is rather an awkward job on the part of Sony's team IMHO.

Service manual:

Reason why i blurted the above prologue is that when i checked the plug for continuity i've noticed that the channels+ground are all shorted. So i unsoldered all the wires on both sides to check the plug (standard Neutrik NP2X) and the cable (Canrare star-quad) and they're fine but the PCB network in the headphones actually is... Thing is, they sound absolutely fine to my ears, No problemes with soundstage and imaging (laser-grade as i remeber), nor bass output (ninja-tight) or any other obvious nasty something.

So what does it mean when the headphones are shorted but otherwise sound AOK?

Thanks!

NM- problem solved.

Last edited:
I have tested stereo rendering capability with several orchestral tracks and it is absolutely stellar, at least on par with my Beyerdynamic T90. Bass is also really clean and precise, So i'm quite sure that they're phased correctly, even with the channels being shorted. But yeah it's very reasonable to expect some sort of consequence out of this... but i don't detect any.

Can this be technically plausible? Is there something to be done about the PCB network being shorted? I

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.