ESL headphones and amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone!

first post, ive been lurking.
im going to get straight to the point!

I am wanting to build a set of ESL headphones and a direct drive amp.
ive been doing some research but ide much rather have a discussion with you guys about it as im a little confused and there really is SO much information to try and catch up on.
basically i have moved away from my wife and home for 3 months for work, this is going to give me some DIYing time. however im reluctant to spend the whole time researching (and it seems i could spend 5 years researching before i start assembling), as then i wont get a chance to actually build anything!

im confident of my hand skills and have experience with electrical circuits of all kinds. (im an avionics engineer, so although i dont work with the intricacies of audio often i understand most electrical and signal, circuit concepts)

im thinking of of basing my designs on the following two designs.

All-Triode Direct-Drive Amps for Electrostatic and Electret Headphones | HeadWize
DIY Electrostatic Headphones | HeadWize

although this is just my initial idea, and i am really wanting your input to help me decide what is going to be the best path to go down.

my initial question.

1/ what is this going to cost me ROUGHLY in parts for headphones and amp. time is irrelevant, and i do have access to cnc machines etc, so this is parts only.
i do have access to a bunch of random parts, but lets assume i have nothing, and am working on a budget (ie i cant afford $240 for apex op amps) im planning on upgrading components over time as i can afford them.

thanks very much for your time.
looking forward to working with you!

Hi,

I've made many pairs of electrostatic headphones, and I'm sure I can give you some help.

Have you come across my thread?

If you have access to a CNC machine, you can make the electrostatic headphones drivers easily. Depending on what material you want to use, the cost can be very cheap to somewhat high.

There are many amp designs that you can choose to build. KGSSHV and KGST, for example, are very good.

Wachara C.

Hi,

I've made many pairs of electrostatic headphones, and I'm sure I can give you some help.

If you have access to a CNC machine, you can make the electrostatic headphones drivers easily. Depending on what material you want to use, the cost can be very cheap to somewhat high.

There are many amp designs that you can choose to build. KGSSHV and KGST, for example, are very good.

Wachara C.

I have found your thread, but i didnt read the whole thing, did you solve your issue with soft sound?
and if so what was your method?
thanks ill look those amps up, would you recommend these two amps over the one i linked? i would ideally like to use a Tube amp, but i can always do that later and start with solid state if its an easier build.

do you have any good links for the above amps that are fairly comprehensive and detailed?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi,

Wachara C.

Hi,

I would love to listen to your electrostatic headphones. I have a condo in Bangkok and I will be there again in a few months.... it is on Sukhumvit road.... easy to get to by BTS. if you send me your email address, i will contact you when I am in Bangkok.

Thank you,
Richard Marsh

I have found your thread, but i didnt read the whole thing, did you solve your issue with soft sound?
and if so what was your method?
thanks ill look those amps up, would you recommend these two amps over the one i linked? i would ideally like to use a Tube amp, but i can always do that later and start with solid state if its an easier build.

do you have any good links for the above amps that are fairly comprehensive and detailed?

The thread was started when I didn't know about anything. It was over 6 years ago, but I now have learned a lot about making electrostatic headphones. Here are some of my works:

20140609_220657_zps2lobwnjc.jpg

null_zps1359c1d1.jpg

Please do a search on KGST if you prefer tube amps. I'm sure you'll find a lot of information on the internet.

Wachara C.

Hi,

I would love to listen to your electrostatic headphones. I have a condo in Bangkok and I will be there again in a few months.... it is on Sukhumvit road.... easy to get to by BTS. if you send me your email address, i will contact you when I am in Bangkok.

Thank you,
Richard Marsh

Hi Richard,

You're welcome to listen to my headphones. Let me know when you're in Bangkok, and we can see each other here.

Wachara C.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.