CMoy with other Chips - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2015, 12:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CMoy with other Chips

I am new to this field. I like to build a CMoy headphone amp but could not find any OPA (BB) chip in my local market (I am from a sounth Asian country). However, I got NE5532 chip. Can i build a CMoy amp with NE5532? Can anyone kindly give me a schematic to build a CMoy amp with NE5532. I will appreciate any help in this regard. Thank You all.

Last edited by jhorapalok; 21st January 2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old 21st January 2015, 12:22 AM   #2
bimo is offline bimo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorapalok View Post
I am new to this field. I like to build a CMoy headphone amp but could not find any OPA (BB) chip in my local market (I am from a sounth Asian country). However, I got NE5532 chip. Can i build a CMoy amp with NE5532? Can anyone kindly give me a schematic to build a CMoy amp with NE5532. I will appreciate any help in this regard. Thank You all.
Yes, you can. But you should use 600 ohm headphone to get distortion low. If you use headphone impedance below 600 ohm, you can add buffer after NE5532.
Old 21st January 2015, 01:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I added a simple op amp headphone driver to a mobile disco setup I used to own.
I put a 100R resistor on each channel output so I could drive 8 ohm headphones.
It wasn't deafening but it was loud enough above the disco to be recognisable.
I used the headphones for setting up the next track to play.

If you dont want to add resistors then a high impedance headphone will be required.
Old 21st January 2015, 01:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

How to Build the CMoy Pocket Amplifier
Old 21st January 2015, 02:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

It's the nature of the CMoy design - the less-than-optimal loading of the op amps with low-impedance headphones. That sacrifice in return for simplicity and portability. I say give the 5532 a try. The CMoy is, at its core, a textbook op amp circuit. I don't think the schematic needs to be modified.
Old 21st January 2015, 02:42 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimo View Post
Yes, you can. But you should use 600 ohm headphone to get distortion low. If you use headphone impedance below 600 ohm, you can add buffer after NE5532.
Or just add as many more NE5532s in parallel (with sharing resistors) until you've got enough drive. Look up Doug Self's poweramp design (for Elektor magazine) using NE5532s - that's good for driving 8ohms. Start with that and delete some of the paralleled opamps according to how low an impedance you need to drive.
Old 21st January 2015, 08:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

how to add buffer after NE5532?
Old 21st January 2015, 11:00 AM   #8
bimo is offline bimo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorapalok View Post
how to add buffer after NE5532?
Something like:
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/pimeta2/misc/sch-2.01.pdf

or

http://hifisonix.com/wordpress/wp-co...-Mini-V2.0.pdf
Old 24th January 2015, 10:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

A '5532 should be a good drop-in replacement in a cMoy, actually I would trust its output loading immunity rather more than the original OPA2134's. Maximum current output is about the same.

The amplifier shown here makes use of the JRC NJM4556 opamp, an inexpensive part already designed with headphone use in mind 30 years ago and unsurprisingly still a good performer today - it can basically even do without extra output series resistance, which is not recommended for the '5532. The circuit shown also implements a proper split voltage supply rather than the standard cMoy's rather loose virtual ground (if you use 220 µF buffer capacitors in that one, it's about the equivalent of having 75 µF coupling capacitors on the output).
Old 25th January 2015, 07:27 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thank you so much for your comment. As i said, i am a beginner in this field and i have NE5532 chip in my drawer not any OPA chip. Will you please show me a schematic that i can follow blindly with 5532 chip. I am very eager to make a good sounding headphone amp. In my local market there is no OPA chip. Thank you once again.

Hide this!Advertise here!