Converting the Bugle2 to a headphone amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2015, 10:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Converting the Bugle2 to a headphone amp?

I'm a bit new at this, but for DIY fun and a learning exercise, I'm building a 12-0-12 regulated voltage supply for my Bugel2. Will put the PSU and the Bugle2 in separate metal boxes, and ground the boxes. Then, was planning on simply deleting the Bugle2's TLE2426 voltage divider, and leave all else the same. Gets rid of the virtual ground.

First, and notwithstanding the fact that the new Bugle2 boxes may or may not actually sound any better, do you guys who are much smarter than me on this stuff see any issues with this?

And if this will basically work, now that the current limited TLE2426 is out of the way, could not this approach be used to make a Bugle2 based headphone amp? Maybe need different, higher current opamps? Or is this just overkill?

I know I could build an great O2 amp for much less, but that's not the point of this for me.

I'm curious to see how well it might work and sound. And I could always go back to using the Bugel2 just as intended!

Thanks!
Old 7th January 2015, 11:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

While a linear, "real" split supply certainly seems more trustworthy than a SMPS with rail splitter in a low-noise circuit (though the Bugle 2 seems to have fairly extensive filtering), be careful not to open a can of worms there. Your well-meaning grounding, for example, may well complete a ground loop depending on what else is in the setup.

Conversion to a headphone amp makes little sense to me - you'd lose most everything that makes the circuit special (input impedance matching, RIAA EQ).
Old 7th January 2015, 01:17 PM   #3
Banned

I'd have to agree with sgrossklass, conversion to a headphone amp doesn't make sense to me neither.
Old 7th January 2015, 11:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks, gentlemen. That's the feedback I'm looking for!

Going to build an O2.

Hide this!Advertise here!