Precission EQ of Headphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The response measured with a Neumann artificial head.

Attachments

• Audeze LCD-X.png
    Audeze LCD-X.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 437
I know that it is not easy to measure headphones and i hope i can expand a bit on the method i came up with.
First i just EQed the measured response.
I decided to work only on frequencies over 2kHz and doing a treble shelf so that high frequencies remain at ca. 90dB.
This are the settings :
2kHz +2dB
2.5kHz +2dB
3.135kHz +6dB
4kHz +7dB
6.3kHz +8dB
8kHz +6dB

That gave a clear improvement.
Besides the presence dip that Nudell mentioned this cans also mute the mid treble a bit.
On the other side the EQ was not fully satisfying.
Strings sounded a bit stingy and my son said that the perspective on the orchestra was a bit strange.
Some instruments that should be in the foreground sounded further away and vice versa.

The next thing we did was using pink noise.
Pink noise is very good to hear frequencies that stand out from the rest.
We tried every 30 bands of the equalizer to hear what it does and after maybe half an hour we decided that it sounds very even, somehow like heavy rain i would say.
Switching back and forth it was clear that the un equalized response sounded a bit closed in and hooded.

I come to this point now.
For the first time we thought that our EQ sounded better then the untreated headphone.
Still there was a lack of substance.
I then looked up what are the recommended target responses.
The ones i found are the Olive one you mentioned and the other is from Golden Ears.

Attachments

• Headphone Target GraphDFvsOliveWelti.jpg
    Headphone Target GraphDFvsOliveWelti.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 269
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.