49600 Electrostatic Discharge Concerns - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2014, 05:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 49600 Electrostatic Discharge Concerns

I received the parts for my headphone amp. I decided to try the 49600; I kept looking at the specs and it looked too good to pass up.

I have dealt with ESD concerns before, employing several methods. In the late 70s / early 80s I did some stuff with the CA3140. These came packaged with an anti-static foam; I would mount the device and after the circuit was built I would pick the foam away from the leads. For DIPs I have clips that short all the leads together and also double as a heatsink for soldering. I've used home made wrist straps, grounded my soldering iron to the chassis, whatever I can do.

My plan is to use a short length of wire to short the leads together. I will do this while I am grounded and the device is still in the anti-static bag. Then I will attach the clip on heatsink; then I will mount the heatsink to the board. Then I will solder the leads to the board. Finally, after the whole board is completely assembled, I will remove the shorting wire.

So if I'm missing something, let me know. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 17th May 2014, 05:45 PM   #2
udok is offline udok  Austria
diyAudio Member

The soldering iron is normally of no concern as it is grounded through the power plug.

Most important is that you ground yourself proper before working on the circuit:
1.) touch a grounded metall part before you start working or even better:
2.) use an ESD bench mat: 082-0053 - MULTICOMP - SMOOTH ESD BENCH MAT, BLUE, 1 | Farnell UK with a grounding cord attached
3.) use an ESD wristband: 066-0055 - MULTICOMP - SET, ESD WRISTBAND, 10MM, 1MEG | Farnell UK

The ESD mat is also good protection of your working table. The wristband is important as static charge can build up during sitting in an isolated chair.

Greetings,
Udo
Old 18th May 2014, 09:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well thank you. I already do the wrist strap. I'm not going to get the mat though. It's cool though. It seems to me that standing on a damp concrete floor would accomplish the same thing.
Old 18th May 2014, 10:19 PM   #4
udok is offline udok  Austria
diyAudio Member

Should be ok too. The 49600 is a bipolar device and not very ESD sensitive.
Just stay away from carpets and plastic chairs. Especially in winter when the air is dry.

Last edited by udok; 18th May 2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 18th May 2014, 11:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, well it came in two foil bags instead of the usual one bag like other semiconductors. I know it's bipolar but it's got a very high input impedance.

I'm just trying to be safe. Thanks for your help.

I sure miss the Styrofoam like stuff they used to package sensitive devices in. It was very handy. But I know that this chip is designed to be baked and then wave soldered. Of course I'm not going to do anything of the sort.

Hide this!Advertise here!