clip on heat sinks for TO-263

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm getting ready to order parts for a 49600 based headphone amp (no, not the Wire). I've never used smd stuff in a build before so I'm a newbie at that aspect of the build.

I need clip on heat sinks that can lay down on the board and then be clipped or strapped down. I do not want to mess with soldering the TO-263 tab to the board. I am dealing with limited board space (6 x 9.75 cm) and no components can be more than 14 mm tall. A DIP-8 op amp and of course some resistors (I'm buying some super small 1/16 watt resistors for the project) and capacitors must also fit.

Invalid Request
Will this heatsink clip to a TO-263 device? Or can I mount the devices face down on the board and clip a computer chip heat sink over them? I have several clip on heatsinks that I pulled out of computers to choose from.

I'm juggling board space and trying to get my order straight. I was placing my order when I realized that I hadn't really sorted out the heat sink. So any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Well this one Invalid Request works with TO-262, which is nominally wider than TO-263, so I think it will work. It takes up the right amount of real estate and will (barely) meet height requirements.

It seems like some people run them without heatsinks, or solder the tab to the board. I want heatsinks because the board will be in a small enclosure with a power supply and a DAC. The board will run off reduced voltage (20 V) so that will help with heat and power dissipation. I will drill ventilation holes in the board to promote convective cooling. The case ( a small recycled router enclosure) does have vents top and bottom.

I'm new at these smd components, so excuse my stupid questions. I would be interested in any tips etc. I have a box of various clip on heat sinks from computers (too big for this job) and even some heat sinks that you just solder to the other side of the board by the device pins; they're like little copper flags with a pin for a PC hole. I think they'll come in handy some day.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.