3,5 to RCA cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I am want to make 3.5 to RCA cable from two-core wire with braided shield wire around it. My plan is to feed signal from UCA 202 to O2 amp.

Question 1

Do I realy need shield wire, will it give me any audible effect?

Question 2

If the answer for my first question is yes, than what is the proper connection between RCA , 3.5 jack and braided shield wire?

Should I connect braided wire with 3.5 jack and with RCA plug?

Thank you!

I've been more and more buying into the idea that coaxial cables are the Right Choice(TM) for RCA interconnects (i.e. unbalanced circuits). With two signal wires plus a shield, you always have the dilemma of what to do with the shield - do you want to hook it up to the ground on one end? This has its disadvantages according to some cable makers (notably a budget cable company going by the name of a popular type of denim trousers) in that it raises the total capacitance of the cable.

Long story short, you need per channel a signal wire in the middle with a shield/ground around it.
Something like this:
604831_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

... to varying amounts of fanciness. Or two lengths of thin coax cable, with various ways of creating a Y-split. A bit of heatshrink and twisting is all it takes, techflex if you're trying to be fancy. Try to find the lowest capacitance cable you can find where both channels will fit into the 3.5mm plug. Canare makes a really solid one with a pretty fat cable entrance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.