ATTN: Beyerdynamic owners

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I purchased a few pairs of Superlux HD330 headphones for the kids to use on their computers. I thought i would be nice and put some velour ear pads on them to make them comfy but as you do you give things a listen first and i must say the Superlux are simply fantastic for the price but it get better read below.

The upshot is that the velour pads tamed the bass on the Superlux but the best bit of this is that i put the pleather pads off the Superlux onto my DT-770's and my lord what a difference. The bass is tighter and deeper and now the vocals are brought forward, hhhmmm i wonder how the pleathers will sound on my main headphones which are DT-880 600ohm and yes same results except that it was even better. It's like adding a subwoofer inside the headphones and there is now tight deep bass and nicely brought forward vocals but still retains the lovely top end of the 880's. i put the velour's back on the 880's and instant drain of the bass and vocals so the pleathers are staying on until i order some proper beyer pleathers.

So for those that have a set of DT-880 Beyer and think they are a bit lacking in bass give the pleathers a try and see if you like it, some might some wont as the difference is not subtle.

Just thought i would share my findings.

update, i have been giving the soft skin and velour pads a good listen.

Superlux HD330 Soft Skin pads. very punchy and deep bass. well brought forward vocals. nice top end. reduced openness. these are fun pads and good for dance music but can get a bit too much after a while. they can shake your brain at higher volume levels :)

DT-770 velour (EDT 770V) Part#926660. better bass than the stock 880 pads but with the same comfort. vocals are brought forward out the mix just a little better. still retains the lovely top end. it seems that the only difference between the 770 and 880 velour pas is the foam that they are constructed with and the 880 foam is more open cell, apart from that they are exactly the same.

DT-770 Soft Skin (EDT 770 SG) Part#913669. i ordered the pads for the custom one (part#709417) but got sent these instead and according to the Beyer site they are for the DT 330/660/990 older model pre 2004. stronger bass that the EDT 770V above and much stronger that the stock 880. vocals are about the same as the EDT 770V but the top end is slightly softer and a slight lack of openness. comfort is the same as the velour but get a bit hot after an hour or so. construction foam is the same as EDT 770V.

so far i prefer the EDT 770V pads as they keep everything that is nice about the DT-880's but give a slightly stronger low end and slightly better vocals.

fresh stock 880 pads are terrible sounding but after about 300+ hours they bed into the shape of your head and sound more like fresh 770 pads. the 770 pads get stronger as the hours rack up and they bed in and sound close to the soft skin. i have not racked up enough hours on the soft skins to find out if they change their sonic signature but i would hazard a guess that they do. if your going to swap out pads then i suggest you mark the old pads so you know where to put them back on or you will end up with the pads unshapely to your head.

tip: i have had a pair of DT-770 pro 80ohm for 7 years so been threw a few sets of ear pads and i have found out you can throw them in the washing machine with your clothes (not coloureds) but you must let them dry naturally. i have put a set in the tumble dryer and it shrunk the plastic fitting ring and caused it to go brittle. rubbing a dab of nutragena hand cream into plastic makes them supple again but the shrinkage is too much to be able to fit them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.